Chapter Four

I'm trying to tie up my short hair as the girls and I are getting ready for our assignment in our tent by the stables.

The white blouse that is tucking out of my leather trousers and jacket are identical to Nailah and Aaliyah's, the only different part of the attire we wear on assignment is our weaponry belts.

We all take great pride in our weaponry. Probably more than we should to be honest.

Lia's pride and joy, for example, is her bow.

She made it herself when she was fourteen, it is possibly the most beautiful bow I've ever seen. She carved ancient runes of protection into it and painted them in all different shades of red and orange.

My favourite part of it is where she has the words 'J'en ai assez' engraved on the inside of the upper limb of the bow. It means 'I am enough'.

I've always found that part of it so beautiful, though she's never told any of us why she needed that type of reassurance when she was only fourteen. But it's fine, she'll tell us when she's ready.

For myself, I have never not loved the feeling of the hilt of a sword or dagger in the palm of my hands or the mental protection it provides me when I can feel it on my hip.

I feel as though I've grown up with a blade permanently in my hands, and every blade now rests easily into my grip to the point where it's just second nature to be throwing one at something or someone and I feel weird without one near me.

Phoenix gifted me my all time favourite blade for my sixteenth birthday nearly two years ago. It has a black handle and three red rubies right at the top of the grip just before the blade starts, it's so simple but absolutely stunning. I take it everywhere, if it's not on my waist or stuck in my boot then you will definitely find it in my hand.

As for Nai, well people always seem to underestimate her because she is such a delicate seeming, kind, gentle, loving princess. But that's their mistake.

So, no, she doesn't particularly like to carry a sword or a bow –she only will if absolutely necessary– no, Nailah's talents lie with something else entirely.

Poison.

She is a master at it, to be honest. I would be worried if I wasn't so close with her.

Give her just about any plant, herb, anything really and this 'delicate' princess can turn it into something so deadly.

Stealth in a more obvious way like slitting someone's throat would be more my forte but if we need something more incognito, well then that's where Nai comes in.

So, when we're on an assignment we will all basically look identical in attire but look more closely and that's where the real differences lie.

You'll see and not see daggers and other knives all around my body and of course my sword at my side. Aaliyah has a dagger at her hip and in her boot and her bow and quiver slung across her back. Nai also will have a blade in her boot and a satchel of premade potions.

When I finally get my hair to cooperate and tie back without falling out –short hair is a hassle for updos sometimes– I walk across the tent and sit down on one of the four woven seats.

Aaliyah and Nai follow shortly after and sit across from me. Lia starts, "So, what exactly do we know about the Whitewalker clan?" She looks at us, "I mean it's great that the king is giving us more high-up and important assignments but it's not like he gave us a lot of information to go off of. We know that they are one of the few clans left in Alynthi but that's pretty much it. Nai, did His Majesty tell you anything else?"

Nailah shakes her head, "No, he hasn't said anything about this since the meeting."

"You would think he'd give us something extra to go off to help us not get killed. Especially since his top two choices as heir are on our team." I tilt my head and look at my friend, "Actually, Nai, if you don't mind me asking, I've always wondered why His Majesty allows both you and Killian to be on the team. Like one of you I might understand better, but the both of you?"