Chapter Twenty-Eight

Phoenix

"She's gonna be fine. She'll be just fine, she can take care of herself." I say out loud to no one in particular.

"Yep, she's strong. She can do this." Lia says tight-lipped.

Everyone nods in agreement but I can tell we're all worried for her.

Killian shakes his head, "She better win, or else I'll look like a damn fool."

Most of us are worried for her.

"Seriously, Kell. Now is seriously not the time for your ego to make an appearance." Nai snaps. And Nailah never snaps at anyone, especially her brother, so that's how you know this is serious business.

He shrugs, "I'm serious. You know how much father will never let me live this down if she beat me but not the overall competition."

She stands down at that.

I'd never say it out loud for fear of literal treason but the king is a right asshole. I've lived in the same household as him for pretty much my whole life and let me tell you you never want to get on his bad side.

So you live life with your head down when he's around.

But never speak a word of it outside the castle walls and even then it's better to not even speak of it in there because Gods forgive if the people knew how much of a prick their king is.

And especially the fact that he just loves his wife so much that he gives her her own bed in a whole different room and has a new mistress every night to warm the cold that she leaves behind.

Basically, a grade-A asshole and I'm glad he's not my father.

"Anakin Valerio and Kali." The Devil's voice booms over the speakers. "Please stand on your marks and get ready for the trumpets to blare before throwing your first punch. And remember these platforms are weighted so if you step off even a second beforehand you will be disqualified."

Aaliyah takes my hand in hers and squeezes it. "Please Gods let her win." She whispers.

I'm not being dramatic when I say the king drags out the wait. Even Kali and Anakin are looking bored.

A loud boom erupts and Kali steps off the platform thinking it's the trumpets.

It's not.

Almost in slow motion, she and Anakin both are thrown back by an explosion. And it's not from the pressure plates.

There are explosions going off all over the field. And almost at once, these ninja-looking people come out of the shadows. Gold rose petals fall from the sky and chaos erupts.

Killian sees a few of the ninjas stalking up the stairs to the booth where the royals are and shoots these vines out his arms like spiderman or something.

I've never seen him use his powers before so this is really cool.

Prince Kade materialises out of thin air it would seem onto the field and starts attacking these ninja people.

Princess Kaimana shoots some water down towards him and Kade moves the air so that the water only wraps around the shadow people and drowns them.

That was even cooler than Killian's thing.

All around chaos is spreading as these civilians are trying to escape but only end up stuck in the crossfire. The king, Killian, Kade, Kaimana, and even little Astra are now all on the field using their powers to fight everyone off.

The whole field is almost completely empty besides the royals, the ninjas and a few stragglers.

I see Anakin finally stand up and run away. Coward.

Shit. Kali.

I turn to Aaliyah who also seems to remember this. We quickly run out onto the field and find Kali sitting up staring at the scene in front of her unfold with a huge piece of cement on her lap trapping her.

"Kali!" I gasp. "Are you okay?"

"Get this off of me please." She struggles out.

Aaliyah and I struggle for a bit but eventually shove it off her.

She takes a breath before taking Aaliyah's hand and standing up. We both quickly wrap her in a hug.

Aaliyah starts crying, "You know what I changed my mind, you are not allowed to be general because I'm never allowing you to be put near danger ever again."

Kali wipes her tears and smiles, "I love you, Lia. But I'm afraid danger is inevitable around me."

I look at her, "What do you mean?"

She takes an unsteady breath and holds our hands, "The past ten years and even the past three years have been so amazing with the two of you. You both have made my life better. You two are my closest friends who I never in a million years ever wanted to lie to. But I have, to protect myself and my people I have lied everyday that I've known you, and it is one of my strongest regrets.

"I wish I had more time to explain this all before everything explodes but I don't so I just want you both to know how much I love you. Even if you can never trust me again or love me or even like me anymore, I will always love you both and I am so sorry."

"Kali, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Yeah, I second that question." I say.

Kali wipes away the single tear that is falling down her left cheek. "I love you."

And she just walks into the battle that's breaking our on the field.

We both scream after her, telling her to not be stupid, to get back her but she just continues walking away from us and towards the chaos.

We look at each other stunned and confused when out of the corner of my eyes I see a huge ball of fire, flying towards the attackers.

I turn around in a flash and just in time to see the second ball of fire take down the remaining shadow people and come out of Kali.

What the fuck.