Chapter Twenty-Nine

Kali

I remember a stormy night when I was a child, I couldn't sleep because the wind was too loud and it was causing my windows to rattle and for babies to cry. My mother came knocking on my door and sat on my bed and tucked me under her arms.

"What's wrong my little dragon?" She said.

"The storm, mama. I can't sleep because it's too loud."

She smiled at me, "Let me ask you something, princess, do you like the flowers and nature and the view outside of your window?"

"Yes, mama." I nodded.

"Well without the storms and the rain then the flowers wouldn't grow." She cupped my face in her soft callused hands, "May the flowers remind us why the rain was so necessary."

I still think about that night in my mother's arms very often, and I try to live by what she said too 'May the flowers remind us why the rain was so necessary.' Whenever something especially bad happens I try to think about it and I remember that no matter how bad something is it'll always get better.

Which is what I'm trying to do right now as I blaze through these attackers.

Literally blaze through them.

I forgot how it felt to use my powers. I haven't used them pretty much since I left home.

Which is why I have to be so careful. They were already really not tame and insane even when I was practising every day. But now that I haven't used them in 10 years?

No one wants to see how quickly that can get ugly.

I'm trying my very hardest not to look back at Phoenix and Aaliyah because I'm sure that they and mostly everyone else that is still on the field has put the pieces together.

An orphan girl with a name suspiciously sounding like Kaelyn from Xelya.

An orphan girl with a name suspiciously sounding like Kaelyn from Xelya, who showed up 10 years ago.

An orphan girl with a name suspiciously sounding like Kaelyn from Xelya, who showed up 10 years ago and has fire powers.

Well I mean if they don't put it together with all of that then that's their problem, not mine.

I can see that most of the attackers are either dead or fleeing so I stop using my powers. It's better to preserve my energy anyway.

I stand there in the middle of the field with my eyes closed just catching my breath for a minute before I feel someone yank on my arm.

"What the fuck! You-? You're-? How?" The king screams in my face. "You little shit. You've been spying on us for a decade! Learning all of our secrets! They really started you out that young? I bet your parents aren't even dead."

I swallow the saliva rising in my throat and quickly compose myself. "I can assure you, Your Majesty that my parents are dead, I saw their bodies with my own two eyes. And no, I am not a spy."

He narrows his eyes at me, "Guards! Arrest this spy!"

Killian steps in front of the king. "Father! Relax,! Kali- or Kaelyn- or, she is a princess you cannot arrest her."

"Watch me." He snarls.

Killian gestures to Aaliyah and Phoenix who are walking up behind the king to run. Now that I look at them all I see is hurt and confusion on their faces. It nearly breaks me.

Once they've successfully gotten away, miraculously without the king noticing, Killian says, "Father. I'm sure you are very annoyed so I think we will just let you cool off and come back later." He grabs my hand and we run.