Chapter Twenty-Four

Killian

"What's your name?"

"I'm not doing this, Kade."

"What is your name?"

I sigh, "Prince Killian James Asteria, of Angelcrest."

"And what will your name be by the end of the day?"

"Prince Killian James Asteria, General of Angelcrest.

He smiles, "See? That's the spirit."

I shake my head, "This is pathetic. Oh, the bullying Kali would give me if she saw this."

"What's her deal anyway?"

"What do you mean?"

"She seems like she wants nothing to do with this whole country but yet wants nothing more than to be its general."

I laugh, "I wouldn't think too hard about it. Believe me, I stopped trying to understand her a long time ago."

We walk out of my tent on the field where a mock stadium is being built for today. With stands of bleachers covering the whole perimeter, racks on racks of weapons to choose from, a white tent for all sixteen of the competitors –even though Victor, Anakin, Miles, Kali, and I are the only ones who have a shot at winning.

There's a stand for all the royals to sit on in our pretentious thrones. Thank the Gods I don't have to sit on the horrid thing today. But there are still three golden thrones with an amethyst gem in the centre for my family and one the same but with an emerald for Kaimana, and a black opal for Kade, and a red ruby one too.

Kade groans, seemingly to be thinking the same thing as me. "Are your thrones just as uncomfortable as ours? Please tell me they aren't, cause I will not be able to live through the day if I have to sit on that all day."

I chuckle, "No, sorry my friend. It seems it is a universal thing to make them as uncomfortable as possible."

"I figured as much."

We walk around the field and just watch as banners get hung, the band practises the anthem, competitors start training, and bases get put in so we can fight on them.

"So, what time does this shit show start anyway?" Kade asks.

I look at my watch. "Well it's eight in the morning now and it starts at twelve, so we have four hours left."

"But really that means we only have one hour of free time though, cause we both need to get ready and you need to train for a bit."

"That is true."

"One, two, three, get ready!"

I put my arms behind my back and catch my sister just before she hits the floor.

"Astra, what did I say about doing that when I'm not ready." I say to her.

She rolls her eyes and mocks my voice. "Do not do that when I'm not ready for it, because I could drop you and you could get seriously hurt."

She's so snarky already, I hate that she's a teenager now.

"Where's Tomas?"

She looks around, "I don't know, he was right behind me a second ago."

And just as she says it I am tackled to the ground by my brother. "I'm right here!" He shouts in my ears."

I laugh, "Yes, I can see that."

He jumps up and they both run away laughing.

Kade extends his hand and helps me up and we laugh for a moment. He straightens and loses his smile just as I hear Kali and the smirk on her face. "Well if a nine-year-old can tackle you I'm sure as hell not gonna have any problems, now am I?"

"Well, you sure are both the same size."

"Ha. You're so funny."

"I know right. Wonder who I get it from?"

"Not your dad, that's for sure."

"That we can agree on."

She gives me a half-smile and turns around to Phoenix. Bitch.

Aaliyah, Alistar, and Nai walk up to Kade and I.

"What did the kids want?" My sister asks.

"Nothing. Just causing trouble as per usual."

We all just make pleasantries for a few minutes before Alistar turns and says to me, "Man, I'm just gonna say it as it is, okay? Most of these will be out within the first five minutes, maximum. But now don't get me wrong, you are an excellent swordsman but your hand-to-hand combat isn't...as good as the serious people here are at it."

I scoff but he shrugs at me and continues, "For example, Miles, the foot soldier, he will eat you alive out there. And Victor, he's on the Night Guard, they nearly have to be more vicious and cruel than a regular guard. And dude I mean, Anakin. No offence to either of you but I don't think that you or Kali have a chance against a member of your father's hand selected personal guard."

Kali scoffs from behind me, "Please, I could take Anakin in my sleep."

He shakes his head, "No, Kali, you couldn't."

"Don't be a hater, Alistar." She says.

I laugh "But no seriously, Al. Stop worrying, we'll be fine."

"Oh yeah, cause all I do is worry about your precious royal life."

Nai claps her hands together, "Right, well on that note, Aaliyah and I made you both a good luck present."

I see Phoenix lean down and whisper to Kali, "We were supposed to get you presents?" She smiles and shakes her head at him.

She never smiles at me. Bitch.

Aaliyah turns to each of us with a small wooden box and tells us to open it with a huge smile on her face.

I oblige and lift the lid off the box and lift up the piece of fabric laying at the bottom of it. I turn it over to see that it's a handsewn crest of Angelcrest and says Asteria at the bottom of it.

"Wow, you guys thank you so much. This is wonderful and beautiful. Thank you, really."

I look over at Kali and see her just staring at the piece of fabric in her hands. She looks up after a second and puts a smile on her face, "Yeah, thank you guys, it's so pretty. Excuse me though, I need to go to the bathroom." She places the box down and nearly runs away.

Everyone starts talking to one another but I pick up her box and look at what she got. A crest the same as mine except hers in the Xelyian crest not Angelcrest and rather than her last name at the bottom it simply says Xelya.

Come to think of it, Kali has never told us her last name. In fact up until a month ago we didn't even know she was from Xelya. I mean we know nothing about her. Like creepily nothing for the fact we have spent most of our time with her for the past 10 years.

"So, what do you think?"

I turn around and without thinking I drop the crest on the ground, "Huh?"

"What do you think about going to get some food right now before everything starts getting crazy again?" Phoenix repeats.

"Oh right, yeah, let's go."

Once everyone starts walking towards the town I turn around to pick up the crest to pocket it.

But it's gone.