Chapter 11

"What, Theo?" Finn was annoyed, and Theo tried to catch his breath after sprinting down the hall.

"You...are a very... fast walker," he finished, panting heavily.

Finn tapped his converse-clad foot. "Yes, sure, but why are you talking to me?"

Theo didn't really know why. One reason was that he just wanted to get out of that class. Another was that he saw an option. He saw the way Riley looked at Finn, and now that he thought about it, Riley looked at Finn like that all the time. In the hallways, Riley would try to link arms with Finn, who slyly avoided it. Theo would see them having staring contests, but on Riley's side, it looked more like "Try not to kiss challenge." Even in art, he would hear Riley say things to Finn like "You look so cute today!" or "They really aren't lying about blue-eyed babies. They really are to die for."

Theo had thought they were platonic words and gestures, but now he was thinking maybe not. And yes, he did hate Finn, but if they could both get something out of his proposition, then maybe he could bear Finn's presence if it meant his freedom.

"Is Riley in love with you?" Theo asked, his head cocked to one side. Finn looked shocked that that was what Theo had to ask, but it was quickly replaced with a look of disgust.

Finn snorted. "He thinks that just because I'm gay, too, means that I will love him back." He looked up at Theo. "Why did you ask?"

It was clear that Finn didn't care for Theo much, either. But he was curious, like Theo was, where he couldn't help but talk to people he hated because he always wanted to know more about them. It was an odd trait to have, curiosity. Becky told him it was a sin. His mother told him it was a blessing.

Theo shrugged. "I don't know." Finn began to turn, and Theo grabbed his shoulder which was surprisingly muscular. "Okay, well I do have a reason for asking, and...." He pointed to the empty classroom. "In there. Now."

Finn seemed uninclined to listen to Theo, so Theo grasped the material of his shirt and pulled him into the room. Theo didn't feel comfortable talking to Finn where anyone could overhear.

"How much do you want to get rid of Riley?" Theo said.

Finn crossed his arms. "I've been trying to be rid of him since we first met."

Theo got a little more hopeful. "I have an idea, and, trust me, you would be my last choice if I had more options, but seeing as there are few other gay people who fit my description..." He trailed off letting Finn piece it together.

Finn bunched his eyebrows together. "Theo, I literally have no fucking clue as to what you're saying."

Theo sighed. "I need you to be my fake boyfriend." There. He said it. He waited for the laughter or the rejection.

And don't worry, it came. Finn doubled over, wiping away tears and laughing so hard it was barely audible. His whole face quickly turned from tan to red.

"You, Theo Gannon, want me to be your fake boyfriend?" he asked once he recovered from his fit.

Theo glowered. "Laugh all you want. I'm serious." Finn raised his brows in doubt. "I am!"

Finn looked skeptical and checked his watch. It must have been near the end of class. "I don't believe you. You are the last person I would expect to be gay so—"

"No, that's the thing. I'm not gay. I just need people to think that so girls won't bother me anymore."

Finn gave him a disbelieving face. "Yes, because being surrounded by people who think you're gorgeous is a horrific thing indeed."

A Straight  Guy's Guide to Being GayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara