Fate

Toni-

I walk into the office for my second appointment to find my lawyer spinning around in his chair like a child

I walk into the office for my second appointment to find my lawyer spinning around in his chair like a child. "Kenneth for the love of God grow up already" I say smartly as I close the door. He nearly falls out of his chair in surprise making me roll my eyes at his clumsiness. "Toni! I was just waiting for you and-" "I have two months left to live" I say oddly calm seeing as when the doctor told me all I could do was cry.

 "Toni! I was just waiting for you and-" "I have two months left to live" I say oddly calm seeing as when the doctor told me all I could do was cry

"I...what?" He asks in shock. I lean back in the chair and look at him, "three at the most, apparently I am in the final stages of heart failure so...yeah" I say and he looks at me with water in his eyes. "No crying Ken, I've done enough of that for the both of us. We need to get this will settled today" I say to him and he nods before pulling out my folder. "Do you still want everything going to Caleb?" He asks and I nod. "Your sister?" He questions and I shrug my shoulders. "I still don't know if she is really going to stay sober this time around or not but I really hope so for Caleb's sake because he is going to need her" I tell him and he nods.

We continue on like that for an hour going over my assets and my burial plans. "Are you going to tell your family?" He asks as we start wrapping up the meeting. I sigh and look away from his imploring eyes to the window. His office is in the heart of the city so its traffic everywhere. People going to work, people going home, people exploring the city. So much life time be lived by them.

"I thought I had a little more time. I was going to be able to watch Caleb graduate. I was going to spend time with Janet. I could help my sister more. And now...I am reaching the end. On one hand I am tired of fighting this sickness. But it was a fight I was trying to win for my family."

Ken grabs my hand and I look away from the window to his eyes that are tear filled. "I am so sorry Toni" he says sincerely. I squeeze his hand before standing up. "I should be going let me know when I need to come back to sign those" I say with a smile and he nods sadly.

I step outside of the building and instead of calling Janet to come get me like we agreed I decide to walk. And that is what I end up doing as I think about my life.