Chapter 10

When Payu got home from work, Saifah was in the kitchen making them dinner. He had spent way too much time with his brother lately as he was trying to respect Rain's wishes and stay away from campus. He hadn't seen much of Prapai either since he was always with Sky and Sky wanted nothing to do with Payu.

As Payu headed to the stairs, Saifah quickly stepped from the kitchen and grabbed Payu's arm.

"Ummm...., so, before you go upstairs," he started. Payu turned to look at him with a question on his face.

"Earlier today, Sky came by and got some of Rain's things."

Payu swallowed and looked up the stairs already imagining what he would find.

"I thought about calling you earlier but didn't want to upset you at work." Saifah continued. "I'm sorry. I know this hurts."

Payu kept looking up the stairs while replying to Saifah. "It does. But it's nothing I don't deserve."

"If there's anything I can...."

"I'm okay. Don't worry so much, Saifah. It'll be fine. It has to be," Payu interrupted.

Payu walked up the stairs and towards his room. He hesitated at the doorway and lay his forehead against the door unsure if he could make himself turn the handle. What would be gone? Would Rain's clothes be missing from the drawers? Would the bathroom be emptied of his ridiculous Korean skin care regimen? Would the stuffed cat Payu surprised him with after doing well on an exam still be on Rain's side of the bed? Would he have taken his slippers? His pillow? His toothbrush? The manga he was half-done reading? Did he take only the things he needed or would everything be gone? Payu wasn't sure he could manage seeing it all be gone.

He pushed open the door, looking around. The first thing he noticed that was gone was the stuffed cat. Payu walked to the bed and reached down to softly touch where the cat had slept the last few weeks. He turned and noticed Rain's book still on the nightstand. That was a good sign, right? Payu walked to the bathroom next and found all of Rain's things still there. He leaned back against the wall and stared at Rain's face wash. His serums. His lotion. He could hardly breathe. Was this a good thing? Did it mean Rain left it for when he comes back? Or did it mean he had replacements at home and didn't need these?

Payu moved next to open Rain's dresser drawers. He stared down at the half-empty drawers. Clearly some things were gone, as the drawers were not full. But plenty of items still remained.

Payu did not know how to interpret the situation. He lay down on Rain's side of the bed and curled himself around Rain's pillow. Surely, Rain not wanting everything back meant he planned to come back? Was Sky just not able to get it all in one trip? Or did Rain just not want these things back at all? Payu so badly wanted to call Rain and ask what it all meant. But he couldn't. One text a day, initiated by Rain, was all that was allowed. He held to that firmly, respecting Rain's boundaries. But, god, did he want to call him.

After taking a shower, Payu moved to get dressed and finally head down to eat with Saifah. He put on some sweatpants and a t-shirt. He went to the hook behind the door to get his hoodie but found the hook empty. He stared at the hook, knowing that he had hung the hoodie there last night before crawling into bed. Did this mean Rain took it? Was Rain, right now, wearing it? A smile crept onto Payu's face. Yes, perhaps Sky taking some of Rain's things was a good sign and not the scary one he initially imagined.

He heard his phone ding, telling him he had a text. Knowing the time, Payu knew it was Rain checking in.

just checking in

I hope you had a good day

I have an exam tomorrow so I was busy studying all day

I had a good day, thank you sweet boy