Chapter 8 - Day 1

~ Nat's POV ~

Yesterday I mapped out the location of the red room and found a nearby hill, so that is where we go today. Once Y/n finally finishes eating we make our way to the car and then I drive us to the hill. It was an awkward drive, to say the least. We didn't talk or look at each other. Tension could've been cut with scissors. 

Once we arrive I park at the bottom of the hill. We get out the car and just as we are make our way to the top, to overlook to building. There's a tree at the top of the hill which is we both hide behind. It's a good view point. Y/n is kneeling next to the tree. Man, she doesn't even look like she's paying attention. I look ahead at the red room to see it's pretty guarded, but isn't really. I could take them all myself, is how guarded it is. Hope Y/n can hold up in battle.  

"I think we should observe for half an hour more before attacking, to be sure it's just these guys guarding." I say, focused on the guards. Honestly, this mission could be done in a day or two. 

"Nat, can we literally just do the whole mission today instead of the week? I don't want to keep coming here for a whole week." Neither do I Y/n.. I swear she just read my mind then. 

"We can try. Take this and use it all times. We will split up, I'll go for the controls and download the files, you kick ass and cover me. We need good communication the whole time, because backup won't be here for at least 3 hours if we need it, and I don't want to relive the red room and I'm sure you don't want to live it." I say to her, handing her a ear piece that'll allow us to communicate clearly to each other. She just stares at me blankly like she's seen a ghost. "You get all that?"

"You, you went to the red room?.." She says trailing off at the end, lost in her thoughts. 

"You didn't know? Why do you think Fury sent me on this mission? Now come on we have a mission to do and I don't wa-"

She jumped on me, covering my mouth with her hand and pushing me to the ground. I'm under her and she's got her head down in the crevis of my neck and her other arm wrapped around my head. That's when I hear gunshots.

~ Y/n's POV ~

I'm only half listening to Romanoff but I immediately tune in at her mention of her going to the red room. WHAT?! How did I NEVER KNOW THIS?!?!? 

I'm in utter shock.

She starts saying that's why Fury had her on the mission and blah blah blah mission talk when I hear a gunshot, and out of the corner of my eye, notice a guard facing us, shooting. Without even thinking I jump on her and cover her mouth to make her shut up. I put my legs around hers and my head to her neck to try and lay as flat to the ground as possible. I hold her head and mouth because I can't risk her talking and giving us away if she hasn't realised what's happening. I don't know why I hold her head, I mean I hate her, so what if she gets shot. 

As more and more fire, I feel myself pushing into her more, to protect her but also because I'm lowkey terrified. I don't know why, but I always thought my first proper shooting-at-me situation would be romantic. 

I can feel my heart racing, whether it's the fear or position me and her are in I don't know. I can feel her heart racing against my chest, at like double the speed. I can't help but to hold her head close to me, it just feels familiar and comforting. 

After a few more shots, it all suddenly stops. Romanoff starts to push up a little, signalling for me to get up. I sit up, so I'm sitting on her and take my hand from her mouth. I hold onto her head still, which forces her to sit up with me. I look over to the guards and notice she does the same. They're back in the same positions as before, with no guns. Did they have guns before? I don't remember now, I don't think they even did. But they shot us?

"Y/n." Romanoff says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I reply back. She looks me up and down and raises her eyebrow. "Right. Sitting on you. My bad, forgot, sorry. Hey, look at the guards. You see any with guns? And they didn't have guns before did they?"

"Huh, no they didn't. Yet they shot us?" She says back, grabbing onto my arm for support to pull herself up. Woah, butterflies. Oh my god, fuck off butterflies, I dislike her, so you aren't needed. 

We sit how we are a moment more, with thoughts of what happened, trying to put pieces together until I look at her, noticing I'm still sitting on her. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." I say, getting up and standing awkwardly. She doesn't say anything and picks up a rock, throwing it at a guard. "Romanoff, what the heck!" I practically yell at her. The rock goes straight through the guard, hitting the wall behind. Holographs.

I kneel down beside her. "So they didn't shoot, who did?" I say, still exasperated, staring at the building. I start shifting my gaze to behind the building, all the trees. Huge forest, big vegetation, perfect to run into if quick escape needed. 

"Y/n.. Y/N!" Nat says, interrupting my thoughts and forcefully pushing me onto my back. I was about to protest when a bullets skims past my leg. Holy shit. 

"Okay. We're even now. And we have to move and get in there." I say sitting up, staring at the building, noticing a gun sticking out from the wall. "Romanoff, look" I say pointing. 

"Yeah I see it. And we need to go in to get the files. That's the mission. files. Don't attack, just defence and keep communications at all times. We need to be careful and we can't-"

"I've got it. Chill Romanoffle waffle." I say, cutting her off from rambling.

"That's not my name. Okay, let's move. We are going down the side of the hill and then around, into the building through the backway." She says turning around and walking down the hill.

Well, here we go.