44: Olumide's Fiancee

Victoria sat across Romola on the red love seat at the other side of the room. Light poured in from the window on the right wall but the flower shaped lighting feature above their head provided the best light. The turquoise wall behind the love seat clashed with Victoria's hot pick t-shirt but Romola knew it wasn't her place to speak about.

She dropped the magazine on the white slim table in front of Victoria's chair before she sat on the high back chair opposite her. The woman watched her without a word. She did too. Except that her mind came up with all sorts of words.

Who was this woman? Why had she appeared in her dreams? Why was Olumide marrying her?

She allowed her eyes to run down Victoria's body again. From the neat auburn weave-on packed in a low ponytail on her head to the wedge sandals on her feet. Her clothes looked good. Expensive maybe but, Romola knew that one could buy a clothes from the cheap boutique around town, give it a washing and proper ironing then, claim to have bought it abroad. She knew. She had done it before.

The woman shrugged. "Don't you want to ask me anything?"

"Is there any type of ring you like? Any shape of the diamond? Do you even want a diamond?"

Victoria laughed; a small cute laughter that she blocked with her hands against her lips. "I know that is not what you are thinking."

Romola straightened the book in her hand. She had rolled it into a scroll on the the way from the reception table. She dropped it on the table then slid it to Vicky, opening the first page. "Pick one."

Vicky uncrossed her legs, leaning forward. "Listen, I know you don't want me here. But I just want to be sure you're fine."

"I'm very fine." Romola added under her breath. "I'll be much better when you leave."

If Victoria heard, she didn't show it. Instead, she drew the magazine to herself and flipped the pages one after the other, with the 'energy' of someone trying to pass time. She flipped through the pages and then closed the book, passing it to Romola. "I already know what I want."

"Why did you agree to come here?"

"Can I ask you a few questions?"

"Is it ring-related?" Romola folded her arms.

"Maybe? How are you doing physically?"

"I said I'm fine."

Romola eyed the magazine. She picked it up and drew it to herself then, forced herself to stare at the rings on the pages. She didn't want to give her mind the freedom to come up with situations where this woman was relevant in her life. But she struggled with one thing.

"Is he really busy or does he not want to come because he knows I'm here?"

"Who?" The woman looked lost.

"Your husband, Olumide."

"What?" The woman's brows rose. "Olumide?"

Romola humphed. "What a good husband he is, leaving his wife to pick out the ring he'll wear for an eternity."

"So you remember him?"

Romola expected the woman to be mad. To be angry. But she seemed chill. A little disappointed but calm.

"Of course?" How could she forget the man who initiated the ruin of her life?

"But you don't remember me?"

"Last I checked, he wasn't engaged? Unless, we've met before last week. I can't seem to remember."

She remembered alright. She remembered the things she would love to forget.

"We have met." The woman insisted. "In the hospital. You were in coma for a while."

Romola scoffed. Coma? "What hospital? Where"

"Peterson at Lekki on Avon Axis after Eko Hotel on the island."

A laughter erupted in Romola's belly and she gave leave to it, her shoulder shaking as she clutched her belly. There was no joy in her eyes.

"You're funny. How can I afford such a hospital? Do you know how much I earn?"

The woman didn't laugh. Her face was serious. "Olumide brought you there after Yetunde poisoned you."

Romola sat up, all humour gone from her cells. "How did you know about that?"

"I told you Romola. I know you."

A knock on the white door at Romola's left followed Vicky's reply. Miss Oyama's muffled voice penetrated the door. "Are you done? We can start the design now?"

"No. Please, give us a few minutes. Romola is showing me some things and I think I just may change my mind." Victoria yelled at the door.  Victoria turned to her. "Listen, i don't have much time left."

"Why? Why are you here?" Was this woman like Yetunde? Did she also want to claim a stake in the heart of a man that Romola wasn't interested in fighting over. "I don't really remember much about him or that time. My memory comes and goes."

"I just want to know what happened. Olumide thinks you were pretending to lose your memory so that you could get his money?"

Romola stood so fast, the chair toppled over. "Is that it? Is that what he wants to know? I can't even remember what happened. It's like everything from that time was wiped with just spots showing up where they please and disappearing before I can understand them. Is that what he wants to know?"

"Please, calm down." Vicky rubbed her chest.

"Why should I seem to be interested in what he thinks? He's getting married. He should leave me alone." Romola swore at Olumide under her breath.

"Well, I'm interested in you for other reasons."

"What?"

Romola shot a sharp look at Victoria. The woman didn't flinch. Romola admired her. She came to face a woman her husband was probably interested in and she didn't flinch. Not like her, turning away from a good job because of her issues with Olumide.

"For one thing, you left Olumide's house in a rather disturbing way. Your mother looked like she would kill you and you didn't take your drugs with you."

"I'm fine without them."

Vicky's brow ends curved downwards. "Are you really? What do you remember?"