87: Help Me or Not

Olumide got the nurse to himself while Yetunde, his sister, and her mother plotted ways to kill Romola and drain her blood. In a lot of ways, they reminded him of vampires who would drain their victims without mercy.

"Where are you going, Mide?" Yetunde asked.

"I'm going to beg Romola."

Yetunde rolled her tear stained eyes. "What for? You want to reunite with her over Modupe's corpse?"

"Modupe will not die."

"How do you know that?" She screamed.

'Because Romola told me.' wasn't an answer sufficient enough for Yetunde. So he just shrugged. "I just know."

"Whatever you think you're doing, don't forget that you and I are engaged."

"Trust me. I haven't forgotten. And that should be the last thing you worry about."

# # #

Romola lay on the hospital bed, trying to gather strength. The battle was only half won and her plan was not one that could survive on half its legs.

She sat up as Olumide and the nurse came into the room. The nurse carried a small transparent box containing syringes, tubes and other medical instruments.

"Okay, I got the nurse." Olumide rushed to her side. "Now what?"

She reached for his hand. "The other donors. Where are they?"

"Wait." He tapped his phone screen. "They're almost here. Well, one of them."

"Good."

"Are you ready to give blood now?" The nurse said.

"Yes." Romola nodded, leaning back just as Jide rushed in.

"I can't find Maami, oh." Jide looked from Romola, to the nurse, then to Olumide. "What's happening?"

"Just wait a bit. Maami went to look for you. Mide?" Romola turned to Olumide with a smile on her face but Olumide's frown deepened the closer Jide got to the bed. "I need you to do something for me. The moment Modupe's father gets here, come and get me. Don't waste a single second."

"No." Olumide placed his hand on her head.

Jide yanked it off, saying. "Don't touch her."

"It's fine, Jide. He's..." Romola struggled to find the words to describe Olumide. He wasn't a friend. He wasn't an acquaintance. She didn't know the words to use. "He's just trying to help."

Jide glared at Olumide and Olumide glared back at him. Whatever the hostility was about, it didn't matter. As soon as this was over, she and Olumide would never cross paths again. Jide, to the best of her knowledge, would have nothing to do with him.

"Remember, as soon as he gets here. Jide, please give me your jacket."

Olumide caressed her hair again, ignoring Jide's death glare. "After donating, you need to rest."

"Mide, I have to do this."

"Why?"

"You hand, Ma." The nurse tapped the back of her hand.

"Why did you come searching for me after all these years?" She asked, her eyelids drooping slightly.

"Because I love you."

"No Mide. You wanted the truth. I have to do this for the truth."

She sat up and put on Jide's jacket to cover the bandage the nurse had put over the spot where blood was drawn. It was important that there was no giveaway to the fact that she had donated blood.

"What truth?'

"I'll explain when he gets here." Romola took a deep breath to refill her lungs, then she turned back to the nurse. "Take as much as you can. Start the transfusions. But don't tell her family."

Author's Note

Hello guys,

I hope you enjoyed this story part.

What do you think will happen when Yetunde's father arrives and can you feel the bad blood between Jide and Olumide. Can you tell me what you think that is about?

 Please, don't forget to comment, vote and share. Thank you.

Next chapter drops on MONDAY.