86: The Condition

Olumide walked behind Romola in a state of trepidation. She had come to life with a new energy but she’d said she would only help if Yetunde could fulfill one condition.

“You know we can’t do anything about your sister.” He said.

“This has nothing to do with Sunbo.” She squeezed his hand. “Trust me, Mide.”

“If you don’t want to help Modupe—”

She gave him a mean look. The one that said if he kept talking, she would turn back and he would have to save Modupe by himself.

He didn’t know what her plan was. All he knew was that without the condition, Romola wouldn’t donate blood. What if the condition was that Yetunde would break off the engagement? That wouldn’t be a bad idea. He would support fully but it was silly to think that Romola would want him back.

For whatever reason, she had decided to help. He had agreed to trust Romola and trust her he would. He only hoped that he had not signed Modupe’s death warrant.

They stepped in front of the door to the lab room and Olumide stood by Romola’s side. This was it. They would open the door and face the end of it together.

“Romola. This is the last chance to go back.”

She stood on her tip toes, stretching to place a quick light kiss on his cheek. “Trust me, Mide. I won’t let anything happen to Modupe but I can’t say the same about her mother.”

She opened the door and they went in.

“You again?” Ajoke rose from her seat.

“Just calm down.” Olumide responded. “She’s here to help.”

“Help who? Help what? She better go back to where she came from.” Yetunde said.

Romola raised her voice. “Do you want to save your daughter or not?”

“Olumide, you can’t be serious.” Ajoke said.

“He’s very serious and I’m very serious too.” Romola faced his sister.

Olumide reached for Romola’s hand again. She grabbed his and they intertwined their fingers as he said, “We’re very serious.”

Yetunde looked between them and her eyes rested on Olumide. “Come here.”

Romola’s hand tightened around his hand. He loved the fit of her hand in his.

“He stays by my side until I get what I want.”

“Which is?” Yetunde’s father said.

“I want Modupe’s father.”

* * *
Olumide’s hand loosened but she gripped his hand tighter. She had more faith in him than she did in herself. Without him, she would return to her mother a screaming, crying mess, reveling in the knowledge that Yetunde would lose her child. She was no saint and didn’t care to portray herself as such.

“I am here.” Yetunde’s father stepped forward.

Romola shook her head. Her memory from the time of revelation may not be the best but what she remembered was key. “I know you are not the real father.”

Suspected rather. Based on the fleeting memory she had of when Yetunde poisoned her. Regardless of how much she tried to remember, the memory was incomplete. All she knew was that Yetunde’s father was not Modupe’s father.

Yetunde froze as she stared at Romola.

“Romola,” Olumide’s finger caressed the insides of her palm as he leaned towards her, whispering in her ears. “Do you know what you are asking?”