54: The Bride and the Tent

"Oh great you made it." Victoria rose from the swivel chair, smiling at them.

Romola's stomach churned, its liquid threatening to fly up her throat. She wore a plastic smile and stood by the door. They were at the hotel room where Vicky and her bridesmaid were getting ready for the wedding ceremony. The room was a large spacious place with a round soft looking bed having white bed sheets that marched the two couches placed at the end of the room. A glass door, lead to a large balcony outside with beautiful white curvy railings that overlooked the city.

"We said we'll be here." Miss Oyama walked forward and Vicky engulfed the petite woman in a hug.

"Romola!" Vicky held out her arms.

It would be weird to stand staring at Vicky's hands while three bridesmaids watched them. She marched forward and allowed Vicky's hand to wrap around her back but she didn't touch the woman's skin.

"I'm so glad you're here." Vicky said.

Romola nodded stepping away from Vicky. She had contemplated tearing off the seat belt and jumping out of Miss Oyama's car on the way here but a rational part of her mind reminded her that she would be more hurt by a drastic jump from a moving car, even though her heart said the opposite, than by watching Olumide get married.

"You look beautiful." She forced herself to speak.

From the almost natural makeup, thick black faux lashes and intricate bun hairdo with a thousand pearl top pins on Vicky's head, beauty flowed. If only Vicky were shorter or less physically appealing or had one eye or some other deformity. Romola's shoulders caved towards her chest. Vicky didn't deserve her bitterness.

"Thank you. You look amazing too."

A small smile lifted Vicky's lips and Romola shrugged. What was beautiful about the simple light blue dress that reached her toes? Yes, it was body fitting but that was it. She didn't want to draw any attention to herself

"Let's not keep you any longer. We'll wait for you at the church." Miss Oyama gestured to Romola.

Romola followed the older woman out of the room without so much as a glance at the other bridesmaids sitting on the bed. The beating against her chest mellowed. For a brief moment, she thought she'd seen Yetunde.

She let her hands grip the railing of the curved staircase—matching the balcony railing—as they descended. At least Yetunde hadn't poisoned this woman too. What was her enemy even thinking at this moment? She shook her head. Yetunde wasn't worth the space in her head.

They came out of the hotel, crossed to the other side of the well tarred street and walked down the path, beside the trees to the park where a huge white house-like tent stood beside an Anglican church on a low grassy field with flowers beds forming paths.

They turned and stepped unto the short grass, keeping the path beside the gates till they got to the church.

A security guard stood on the marble staircase leading to the wooden double doors. "Are you here for the wedding?"

"Yes." Miss Oyama answered.

"It will hold in the tent. Construction is ongoing in the church."

"Thank you." Miss Oyama led the way to the tent.

Romola's legs added weight with each step and it was difficult to keep moving. Her teeth chattered in her mouth. This was Olumide's wedding. He would be at the altar already waiting for his bride. What if saw her? How would he react? What about his family? They'd seen her in his housewarming. What if one of them recognized her?

"Wow. This is majestic. Romola?" Miss Oyama stopped at the flap doors of the tent. "Why are you snailing along? Don't you want to be part of this wedding?"

"It's not that." Romola pinched a part of her dress and drew it up so she could see her sandaled feet peeking out as she walked across the grass to Miss Oyama.

"What do you think about this set up?"

Romola stood behind Miss Oyama as she entered the tent. From the entrance to the tent there were several arches of pink roses. Romola's eyes light on the raised stage, also decorated in roses like the covering of a cake. A man in a white suit stood beside the priest, leaning into another man with a black suit and whispering in his ears. He turned towards her direction— the entrance of the tent.

Romola turned away. "I have to go to the toilet."

She picked her dress and ran to the man on the church steps. "Please where is the toilet?"

"That way." The man pointed to a smaller building on the other side of the church.

She rushed to the building, opened the female toilet and locked herself behind a stall before placing her head against the door and letting out a sob she didn't know was coming.

She couldn't do it. She hated him so much. Even more puzzling was why she couldn't do it. She couldn't watch Olumide get married.