91: Wahala

"And who are you to decide what is acceptable for him?" Romola asked.

Her reply had come out before she thought it through. She did not want to get between Olumide and his family because she did not want to see him again. He had got her heart beating again but it was two years too late now. It was better not to build ties that would be severed in a matter of minutes.

The test results of the supposed rapist would put an end to every relationship she had with Olumide and Yetunde. Until then, she would not miss the opportunity to increase Yetunde's discomfort.

"Romola, you better shut up. This is between me and my fiance."

"He doesn't seem very interested in marrying you though."

"This is all a game, okay. I know Olumide is only doing this to convince you to give Modupe blood. So, you better not gloat. You can't come between us. You already failed. Twice."

Romola allowed her lips to spread in a smile. "That's your first mistake. I didn't go to your fiance. He came looking for me. It must hurt to just be a replacement right. The only reason he is not with me is because of his mother. So, he went to you. But, I don't think that's a problem anymore."

"Ika ni obirin. Mo ti so tele. This girl is wicked. I've said it before." Yetunde's mother chewed the nail off her right thumb. "Can't we find someone else to donate? In the whole Nigeria, is this the only one you saw?"

"Let's use the helicopter, honey. Let's get someone." Olumide's mother said.

"Already thought of that. No place to land."

Romola sat on the couch closest to the door. She understood the desperation and frustration that clouded their minds but there was no need to hurry. The man she wanted was in the hospital and it didn't matter how many donors they brought. It would not change Yetunde's fate.

"As you can see," Romola crossed her legs. "I am your best bet. Don't gamble with me."

"Gamble with you? Nobody is gambling with you. As a matter of fact, you seem to be the one taking us for a ride." Yetunde's father said. "You said if we bring the man you'd donate. We've brought him. Now to keep your end of the deal is wahala."

"Or is it that you are unable to donate and you are just stalling to pass time. Just waiting for Moduepe to die like your sister did?" Yetunde asked

It was too soon to field questions concerning Sunbo so all Romola did was stare until Yetunde looked away.

"I can't take this anymore. My granddaughter's life is at stake. What's stopping us from carrying this tiny thing and collecting the blood we need? How big is Olumide that we can't stop him? Small boy I used to take care of myself. Or is it because Dami is not here?"

"Ma, I wouldn't advise that." Ayo raised her hand in the air like she was afraid they would rend her to pieces first.

"Shut up there."

"What do you know?"

Yetunde's mom raised her hands while Olumide's mom walked towards Ayo who shrank, shifting towards Romola.

"Blood you cannot give. When it is time to talk or ask for money, you open your mouth wide, wahhhhh." Ajoke added, eyeing her. "You shouldn't even be here."

"I'm here because Yetunde needs support. When the doctor wanted to draw my blood, they made sure that I was relaxed because they said an elevated heart rate will affect the viability of the blood." Ayo said.

"You've heard what the doctor said." Romola ended her words with a smug smile. "Don't stress me."

Yetunde's mother's voice shifted gear and pitch as she grabbed her daughter and slammed her hands across her daughter's back in two quick succession. "You sef, which kind of problem did you bring for me? Why did you go and make such a miscreant friend?"

"Mummy, I didn't know." Yetunde tried to run but her mother pulled her towards her closer to continue the beating.

Yetunde's father came closer to her and pulled his wife and daughter apart. "Iya Dami, beating her won't solve anything. The best thing we can do is wait for the results."

Yetunde's mother stood arms akimbo. "While we wait, can't she take a test?"

"She already took a test before they told us she was available." Olumide slipped his hands into hers and interlocked their fingers. "Don't stress her more than necessary."

"Like I said, I'd give two pints for every one that Modupe's father gives. Let him give first."

"If that's the case, let's go and find out what's taking so long." Ajoke marched towards the door and tugged Olumide's hand.

He pulled his hand out of his sister's but Romola squeezed their interlocked hands before slipping her fingers out of his.

"Romola—"

"I'll be fine."

"I'll be back." He nodded, leaning towards her and whispering in her ear. "I love you. Nothing is going to change that, you hear?"

"Mide, let's not do this. Your family loves you and you'll need them."

The two years without her family, spent living with strangers and finally culminating in Sunbo's death was not something she would wish on anyone. Anyone except Yetunde. Did Olumide deserve some pain? Yes, but not the type that weighed down both spirit, soul and body.

"I—"

The rest of his words were jerked out of his mouth as Ajoke pulled him away. "Let's go. There's no time."

As Olumide left the room, Romola noticed Yetunde coming towards her with slow, calculated moves and a sorrowful face. She would not fall for this as she had the first time.

Author's Note
Hello all,
For those who have been asking:

Blog:
www.tarealsink.wordpress.com

Instagram:
Tareals_Ink