16: Heart to Heart

I didn't know what to ask Iona, I didn't want to upset her any further and I knew that bringing up the subject was going to be trickier than I wanted it to be. I glanced her way and noticed she had a little smile on her face, frowning I looked back to the road- not really knowing where we were going now that Judd had sent that text.

"They're at the house, why did you just leave?" The words just left my mouth and before I had a chance to control what I was saying it had already been said. Iona's head snapped in my direction. Her furrowed eyebrows now lifted in an expression of surprise, it looked like she had no idea what to say.

"I-"
"Tell me you're not ready I dare you."
"Fuck it, let's go back. Whatever happens, happens." I gave her the biggest smile and almost started to do a full U-turn in the middle of the road but then realized maybe that wasn't the smartest idea and found the first turning to drive back the way we came.
"I miss Judd."
"And I miss Judd too." Iona replied, I turned my head and saw her batting her eyelids in an exaggerated manner.
"Shut up."
"Oh good, you're talking for me." I chuckled at her little comment and let out a sigh of defeat.

We didn't say much for the journey, just the occasional comment on which song we wanted to put on next on the aux. Sarah and her boyfriend were at the house with Judd and Julian, I was curious to see how this was going to go. With the trees zooming past us I looked a little at the windscreen and noticed something lighter than rain falling onto it.
"Iona!" I called out with a large beam on my face, I couldn't believe it- it was like strangely perfect timing, now if Iona confessed and everything went well they could have their first kiss in the snow.

"That would be nice." Iona grumbled, her head turned towards her lap and batting her eyelids in what looked like another attempt to hold back tears.

Are you ducking serious right now (y/n), I thought to myself, this time actually keeping my own thoughts to myself. "I'm sorry Iona, I didn't mean to-"
"Yeah, clearly." She snapped back. A pang of guilt hit me in the chest and I just wanted to rewind the last few seconds to keep my mouth shut, "It would be a dream to get my first kiss with her in the snow." She added, kissing her teeth at the end and pulling out her phone out her pocket once more to change the song.

"Heart to Heart by Mac DeMarco, who hurt you?" I said when I heard the first few seconds of the song she began to play.
"You."
"Incorrect, Twilight breaking dawn part 1 where Edward marries Bella is what hurt you." I replied, seeing her nod sadly in response from the corner of my eye. The song continued to play and I began listening to the words, as we continued to drive the snow got heavier. It was then where I was glad we didn't drive too far, getting stuck in a snow storm in the middle of nowhere wouldn't have been ideal.

The cars tires rumbled as I turned onto the gravel in the driveway. Outside the house stood Julian, Sarah and what seemed to be her boyfriend, I couldn't see exactly what he looked like but he was a fair bit taller than her. Iona was beside me in a second and I gave her a little look to see if she was ok, just to double check before we walked up to them. She gave me a weaker smile than she had previously done and I didn't know whether to pick her up and walk past them or shove her back in the car so she wouldn't look like a deer in headlights anymore.

"You go first." She said, I grabbed her hand and pulled her along with me. As if I was going to do this alone for her, she loves Sarah, she's upset with Sarah and herself so she's going to resolve this with Sarah. If there wasn't going to be comprehension from her at least there would be communication.
"Sarah! How you doing?" I asked enthusiastically, despite the situation I was really really happy to see her, it had been a little while.
"Iona! What are you guys doing back-" Sarah was immediately by her side with a panicked expression plastered on her face.

"I-I- didn't-"
"Dean, Julian, we're out!" Sarah exclaimed, pointing to their car.
"DEAN?!" My eyes widened twice the size when I heard her say his name, I spun around like a wheel to see if it was really him.
"I put a little fake mustache and beard on for this, unbelievable." I squinted because he was a bit further away, he had cut his hair and put on a little mustache and beard for what? Nothing was making any sense at the moment and all I hoped was for answers.

"Guys? Anyone?" I looked over at them and they weren't saying anything, instead they had a little smile and I saw Sarah and Iona's hands intertwined.
"Ping!"
"Pong!" I replied instantly without thinking. I turned once again but this time in the direction of where it came from. In front of me I saw Judd, standing with his hands in the pocket of a full black suit, the top buttons a bit undone, my breath caught in my throat- he looked so handsome in the snowy scenery I didn't know how to react.

"(Y/n), I've known you for a long time now, y-yes given we weren't always together in this timeframe but you never left my mind. You are and always will be the stars of my eyes, the one I wake up in the morning and can't wait to tell everything I've been thinking of, the one I would stay up until early hours of the morning talking to and it would be worth every minute, the one I would do everything and more for just to see you smile or call me an idiot one more time because I couldn't imagine myself being with anyone else. I love the way your whole face lights up when you laugh and there's a million more things to say but the one I want to say the most is..."

He got down on one knee and pulled out the most beautiful ring I had laid my eyes on.

"(Y/n), Will you marry me?"