★ Chapter 5 ★

It had been one week since Ghost got stuck in the hollow tree. Luz had not been able to stop checking the weather every morning out of excitement. But alas, none of the days had snowed. She missed Amity, her first friend since she had moved here one year earlier. The lack of snow had been disappointing to say the least. But when she went outside one morning to find a crumbly leaf to examine, she saw that snow had fallen thick on the ground. When she opened her door, there was a wall of snow waiting for her. It came up to the middle of her shins.

"IT'S SLEDDING TIME!" She yelled, the echo rang throughout the whole house.

She ran to grab her snow pants and boots. She was all geared up a few minutes later, with beige snow pants and a dark chocolate colored puffy coat on top. She pulled her tacky red beanie over her head and opened the door. She grabbed the snow shovel from the closet and cleared a path so as to not get any snow in her house. She was sometimes careless, but she did not want her wood floor to be ruined from the harsh temperature.

She ran down the unplowed, snowy path. She had hoped that there would not be much ice beneath it, but she had already fallen several times in the past minute. Her right elbow, left thumb, and both ankles were hurting. And her nose was numb. But that didn't stop her from running giddily down the path. Sledding had always been one of her favorite winter activities, and sledding with someone would be even better. She carried the wooden sled down the path, unable to drag it as it would get stuck in the snow. It might take a few runs to make a track for the sled.

Luz arrived at Amity's house and rang the doorbell. Amity soon answered, dressed in some white fleece leggings and a long, pink coat.

"I did not realize the weather was so extreme around here." She admitted.

"It's fine as long as you have a snow shovel." Luz assured her.

Amity pulled a snow shovel from her closet and shoveled a path in front of her door. It didn't do much.

"What if I shoveled a path as I walked so that you could walk on it?" Luz asked.

It was a weird idea, but Amity agreed.

Luz walked down the path, Amity behind her. She pushed the shovel forward as she walked. She threw the snow off of it from time to time. It was hard, but she wouldn't let Amity get cold.

Finally, they arrived at the hill.

"Wait right here," Luz said. "I'll make a path with the sled."

Amity nodded. Luz noticed that she was wearing white fuzzy earmuffs.

Luz dragged the sled up the hill. It was the only downside of sledding. Especially because this hill was steep. She occasionally slid down the hill and face planted—to Amity's worry—because of the frosty grass that came from stomping so hard.

A few minutes later, she was at the top. She planted the sled in the deep snow. She gave Amity a thumbs-up and sat on the sled. She had to push hard to get to the steep part right ahead of her, but once she was there, the snow was violently parting as she went down the hill. The sled had good balance, so she didn't collapse as she rode down the hill.

Once it was done, she grabbed the rope on the sled and glanced at Amity. She was clapping and smiling. There was also a track where the snow had been pushed and packed from Luz's sled. Luz stomped over to Amity.

"Do you want to go up now?" She asked her.

"Yeah, good idea." Amity said.

"I can drag you in the sled if you'd like?" Luz offered.