Chapter 10

Author's Note
Hi again. So here's the thing. People keep voting on my story for whatever reason, so... I'm bringing it back! I did not publish any other things while I was gone, BUT I have been working on them. Anyway, I'm so sorry for this, but I'm adding a little time skip because I just feel like I need a fresh start on this story. I hope this is alright <33

ps, i have a gf now. love you keeley 💕💕

4 months later

Luz came out of her cottage, blinded by the spring light that came with the season. Shielding her eyes, she stepped down her porch and set off on her way. Today, she was meeting Amity at the duck pond. The thought of her still made all of Luz's inner organs tumble like a line of dominos. Over the past few months, she had realized something.

She wanted to kiss Amity.

Really bad.

But she was never sure if Amity felt the same, so she kept quiet. The feeling was so painful, and yet lovely somehow. She had not made plans with Amity for a while, since the past few months had snowed uncontrollably.
Her short brown skirt flowed lightly in the spring's breeze. The wistful sleeves rippled along with it. Her hair had grown some, now reaching the bottom of her neck. It was still curly as ever, something that Luz had never been ashamed of. She passed the familiar berry patch, which was now growing strawberries on small bushes that had been nearly invisible during autumn and winter. A cloud had moved in front of the sun now, and she soaked in the blissful shade that would soon pass on. Soon, she arrived at the duck pond, spotting the squawking ducks immediately, along with the numerous rabbits nearby. Amity had not yet arrived at the pond, so Luz got up and picked flowers from the grass for her.
Giving Amity gifts made Luz feel... whole. Like she had made her day better, and Amity was the most important person to Luz right then.
Luz had gathered a bouquet of wildflowers that came in various vibrant colors. She sat back down on the bench and stood the bouquet on the side of her that Amity wouldn't see when she arrived—if she was taking her usual path.
To Luz's excitement, Amity stepped out from behind the row of trees that stood over her path to the pond. Luz sat up straighter and squirmed in excitement, grinning like her second grade yearbook photo.
Amity sat down beside Luz and pulled her into a tight hug. Luz squeezed her back, sinking into the embrace.
They hadn't visited each other in two months, the snow was too much for either to handle, even with Luz's snow gear.
"I've missed you!" Luz exclaimed.
"Me too," Amity buried her face into Luz's shoulder, causing the latina's cheeks to turn bright red.
Luz looked down when she pulled away, hoping it would make her blush invisible.
"I love spring." Amity said, staring at the ducks.
"I love it too, much more than winter, to be honest." Luz added.
Amity laughed. "But then I think the opposite when winter comes for the first time."
"Exactly!" Luz agreed.
"I also love the ducks, and... visiting you." Amity said.
Luz's stomach fluttered and her heart started beating a lot faster just then.
But friends liked visiting their friends. That was what Amity had meant, right?
"I love visiting you too, Amity."
Suddenly, Luz remembered the flowers. She took them from beside her and handed them to Amity.
Amity gasped and lightly sniffed them. "Thank you so much, Luz. They're beautiful."
Like you, Luz couldn't help but think. Then, she decided. She was gonna tell Amity how she felt. Her heart was beginning to ache from keeping it a secret so long. Besides, if it didn't go well, they could still be friends. Right? Right.
"Of course, Amity! You're my best friend." Luz said.
"You're mine too, Luz." Amity replied.
How would Luz tell Amity? She had never done anything like this before. Was it a good idea?
Luz looked at Amity. She would tell her, but not today. She didn't want to ruin their moment, which she knew full well could have been one of their last ones. Was she being dramatic? Yes. But she wouldn't let her friendship with Amity come to an end just yet, even though there was a chance they could still be friends.
"Luz, are you alright?" Amity interrupted Luz's thoughts.
Luz realized she had been staring at Amity's lips. She wasn't sure when her focus had shifted. Embarrassed, she looked down at her lap and fidgeted with her hands.
"Yeah. I'm alright." she would be alright whenever she was next to Amity. She made her feel strangely comfortable. She would tell Amity how she felt... soon. For now, they would sit by the pond in comfortable silence.

Both wishing they were holding hands.

Author's Note
This chapter is kinda short, but I hope it gives a good idea as to where the story is at and goes into Luz's feelings more than it has been. I know the chapters have all been TERRIBLE. Buuut I hope this one was better. Thanks for sticking with my trash fanfic for this long!! Hopefully the next chapter will come out soon.