Chapter 6

After a round of drinks, Elyon discreetly led her upstairs to where he lived. She rolled her wand between her fingers, unsure what to think as they entered the cramped space and his mate emerged from the bedroom.

With Ara's erratic behavior these past few months, then the arrest, he owed them a lot of money. Imani wanted him to know everything would stay the same in their arrangement.

"I was wondering when you'd stop by. You're two weeks late. Get in here," Elyon said gruffly, motioning her inside. Elyon seemed to respect her grandmother, but he'd always been a bit of a prick. Bristling at his impolite tone, she followed him.

"You have the latest order?" The female held out her hand, demanding the magic. Imani immediately disliked this woman, wondering if it was the cause of Elyon's newfound distaste for Imani.

Elyon inspected everything. "Good, I have the rest of the maps Aralana asked me to find. It took me months."

Snatching them, Imani scanned each in haste. More maps, dozens of them, all of Niflheim. She didn't understand what Ara wanted with these scraps; some were damaged and nothing more than crude drawings with writings. But one caught her eye. A parchment practically falling apart and smudged had a different loopy red script.

Royal Library. Manuscript 1148. Wand Efficacy of the Second Age.

The Second Age was almost a millennium ago. Someone scribbled a list underneath too.

Test IV. Mirkwood.

Test V. Bone.

Test VI. Draswood.

Test VII. Drasil.

Imani had read about people using the first two at various historical points, but she hadn't recognized the fourth wand, which truly piqued her interest.

An urgent feeling compelled her to keep these documents and keep them secret. The thought of Ara making a bargain with them chilled her. But while curiosity was killing her, and she was more than intrigued, a map wouldn't pay their bills. Ara might have lost her mind these past months if she accepted maps as payment.

"Are you serious? What are these?"

Shadows encircled her form, pulsating. Concerned, she watched them for a few seconds before calling them back with her mind. She'd vowed not to do more magic tonight.

It worked a little. They continued darkening the doorway around her. Neither of the nymphs seemed to notice the shadows, which didn't surprise her, given their low-bred status.

"This was our deal." He gave her an arrogant smirk, pocketing the items.

Imani wanted to rip the smile from his lips.

Elyon must have thought she was born yesterday. She grabbed half the magic from the table, then snatched the others from his pockets with a flourish of her wand. "We always require money for magic. My grandmother would have never agreed to those terms. Are you willing to blow this deal up over some maps?"

"Are you?"

"If you have an agreement with someone, keep it," she snarled.

"If you're going to be a criminal, do your homework," he shot back.

Ire pulsed inside her. She anticipated this would happen, but it didn't anger her any less. People wanted to take advantage of the branded, especially low breeds like Elyon, who were buying large quantities of this type of magic. There were complicated laws if a business wanted to purchase spells for commercial use. But many skirted those regulations and paid substantial coin for a coven to look the other way and sell anyways.