Chapter 49

A strangled sound came from her throat. "You bastard."

He sighed, "The first binding—the one where you pledged loyalty to me and our kingdom—means that I can have you do anything I bloody want."

"You know," she grated out, "this seems like a great time to mention that I'm about to be implicated in the murder of the Niflheim-breed merchant in our town—and since you're obligated to fulfill our binding and keep me alive, I don't mind admitting that every word of it is true. Do you know what was left of him? Nothing. My shadows completely obliterated him. So, trust me, I am not an elf you want to be ordering around. Unless you want me to unleash them again on you when this binding is complete."

"I'm not afraid of your magic." He leaned closer and lowered his voice as they kept walking. His mouth brushed over her ear. "And I've known about your crime for months, my little murderess."

Imani jerked her head back in surprise. "What do you mean? With what proof? How could you have anything the Crown would legitimately consider?"

The nymph witch trailed behind them, an unreadable expression as she watched them.

Seemingly oblivious to her anger, Kiran continued pulling her towards the balcony around the inner atrium. Finally, they stopped, and he glanced at her arrogantly. "You're right. The Queen would never give me an audience for any conversation whatsoever. But rumor is that the evidence the Queen and your precious Heir heard from your sister earlier was extremely compelling."

Imani's stomach lurched, and she honestly thought she might pass out. "What are you talking about? What is my sister doing here?"

"Meira decided she couldn't take your lies anymore. So, she arrived yesterday and told them how you likely attacked the merchant after your grandmother's burning, how you came home smelling of smoke and covered in ash, how you lost your cloak—the very one they found near the remains. Oh, and she also told them how you've been lying to the Order and the Crown, hiding your true magic and identity."

She pressed her hand to her forehead to calm her racing thoughts. Her mind careened out of control with possibilities. She didn't believe Meira would do this to her. Not her sister. No.

Imani could barely get the words out. Her voice was cracking so much, fighting the tears. "How did you get her to say those things? What did you do to her?"

"Take a look for yourself," he led her to the railing and made her look down at the people milling about below.

Her body froze. She couldn't move, could barely think.

Indeed, both Meira and Dak were below. Meira spoke to two witches with the Order and didn't appear under duress. Dak seemed to be waiting patiently, sitting nearby sketching.

Her chest cracked open. Deep down, she now knew Kiran spoke the truth. Imani wished she could crawl out of her skin. She wanted to scream, claw her heart out and throw it at her sister.

Kiran tsked. "They do look more High Naiad than you, but I think you'll find them easily in the crowd—"

The prince cut himself off as Meira walked up the stairs with one of the master witches.

Kiran let her out of his grip so abruptly that she almost tripped.

She stared at her sister, floating up the stairs, hardly breathing, hardly seeing. The sharp look from Meira stopped her in her tracks. Imani's heart raced with the tears gathering in her eyes.

To calm her shaking hands, she balled them into fists.

The master gave them a startled look but politely stepped back to give them privacy. Meira glided towards her, displaying far more poise and calm than Imani was capable of right now. Her blank expression never wavered. Imani couldn't read it. In fact, she barely recognized this spiteful, icy witch in front of her.