Chapter 15

Master Selhey ignored her gaping mouth and continued. "I've vehemently argued that you have the right to keep your glamour for unpleasant reasons that you know all too well. However, you're a female elf alone here and have a right to any protection necessary."

Imani didn't know what to say to that statement. But she felt a surge of affection for this stranger.

His expression softened. "But far away from the Draswood—from home—this place is safe for you. So, you're welcome to appear unglamoured here when we're together."

It flustered Imani again; she didn't know what to say. But she didn't move to restore her illusion.

Her grandmother had been controlling—insistent that the Draswood was the only place she could appear without it. The compulsion was more manageable for other elves to resist, especially if they didn't sense a potential mate nearby. Intensely loyal, most elves felt the instinct to protect. But after so many years, she'd forgotten that feeling.

He gave her a kind smile. "All the Aowyns have the same eyes."

"How did you know my family?" She blurted out, the words escaping before she could stop them.

"Mostly by reputation, but we met a few times when they came to Stralas. So many, including myself, regarded your father as the best wandmaker in centuries." He held up his wand. "He made this one."

Clutching her own—one he'd made, too—she felt unbearably sad. Aralana never talked about their family. They didn't exist after the children came to live with her. She had very few memories of them. Just happy fragments, like dreams she couldn't remember clearly.

"Truthfully, I don't know much about him or my magic. I'm far behind the other witches," she said, her voice curt, feeling a sting from her ignorance.

"Perhaps." He studied her for another beat.

The accuracy of his assessment of her was startling. Despite not growing up around elves, she seemed to like them in more ways than outward appearance. All she could do was nod.

"Elves have a different path to take when becoming a Master—indeed, many choose not to anymore. But, unfortunately, it means we have only a handful of elf witches in the Order. What other abilities did your parents have?" he pressed.

"I'm not sure. Definitely illusion." She also remembered her mother working with potions. "Probably alchemy magic as I have as well."

Master Selhey seemed lost in thought. "Elves are often given spiritual magic. Other breeds are not. Did they also have divination like you? That mark is one of the rarest in this realm, giving the caster dangerous abilities many desire but few possess. Many don't understand it, even masters witches." He turned to the other witch with a pointed look.

"I think my father had it."

"Hmm, strange I don't remember him telling me about that. Your parents died in a Fabric event near the border of the Plains and Riverlands, didn't they?"

Her throat felt thick with emotion; all she could do was nod.

"That was a particularly horrific one. Strong enough that Niflheim could've called the treaty void if they had known about it," he muttered with an edge to his voice. "The area there still hasn't fully recovered. It's a miracle you survived."

Imani had to agree. It was a miracle. The destruction had been catastrophic in that small splice of area. Dozens of casualties and hundreds of homes were destroyed. Yet, the passing of her parents had gone largely unnoticed in the aftermath—as had the fates of their three children. Master Selhey must have looked deep into her background.