Chapter 36

Bursting forth into the darkness, Kiran's ropes of flames spun and twisted around the courtyard, hemming them in like cattle in a field.

A mile of pure power from the Fabric, the flames separated and coiled themselves into suspended rings of heat and ash, like floating funeral pyres taunting those within its clutches. Then, in one whoosh of movement, the rings exploded upwards, almost reaching the palace rooftops until they finally stilled, towering tall and standing in severe warning to the helpless, trapped witches.

Kiran watched Imani's reaction to the fire shower he'd made with great interest, but she ignored him.

Beyond the raging sound of the fire, people started screaming. Some screamed in fear, some in bloodlust, and for Imani, everything seemed to move in slow motion.

Cracking her neck, she tried to stay calm despite her heart pounding like a war drum.

The male Norn ducked to avoid two errant spells and charged for her.

Her brow furrowed. There wasn't time to ask what the elf was doing, but fear didn't even register as he attacked. A Norn wouldn't hurt her.

A second later, he threw her to the ground, though. "Do it as fast as the first Assessment," he grunted as she lashed at his chest. He dodged it and moved to attack her again.

"I don't want to kill you," she said, drawing out her wand.

Imani could hold her own against him, but from her short time with Master Selhey, she knew if any of her kind had magic, they were powerful and well-trained.

Yet, he seemed intent on losing, and a feeling of admiration threatened to choke her as she rolled out of his feigned kick. "You don't have to do this for me," she whispered.

Sadness shone in his eyes. It made Imani angry, although not at him. With a savage cry, she slashed for one of his ankles. But he deftly stepped aside like she knew he would.

"Let me fight you for real," she shot back. Then, winding up for a hard left hook, she swung.

The elf caught her fist in his mighty grip, and she screamed in response, kicking him in the chin. His neck snapped back, pale eyes glimmering with surprise.

"You don't need to protect me," Imani repeated.

"You know the power you can wield. If you survive the Assessments, you'll be one of the only witches in a position to do something."

"Spoken like a true man who only sees value in one thing," Imani growled as they both faked a punch and a block. "I'm not as powerful as you think I am."

"The elf prince hasn't stopped staring at you since we began," he replied, glancing over his shoulder. "You intrigue him."

The weight of Kiran watching them fell on Imani's back. She didn't even need to look—but she did anyways.

Unflinching, Kiran's expression appeared unreadable. But when the male Norn grabbed her wrists from behind and slammed her chest into a nearby tree, the prince stood and cocked his head to the side.

"You're seeing what you want to see," Imani hissed over her shoulder. "It means nothing." It only meant Kiran didn't want her to die—he needed his pet to live to continue providing value.i

"Possibly," the man whispered, letting her twist out of his grip on her wrists.

The male elf didn't believe her, but this conversation was over. "Get out your wand and attack me for real. Kiran will never believe this farce," she said through gritted teeth before slamming her elbow into his face. The elf held his bloody nose, muttering a string of elvish curse words. But a second later, he drew his wand, and a blast of magic froze her limbs. Imani fell hard into the tree.