Origins (Pt. 2)

Sirius walks behind Lily and Remus to the banquet hall. He could hear the sounds of chatter echoing from behind the tall doors. How many people were there ?

Noticing his silence, Remus gestures for Lily to head on without him. Their years of friendship perfected their non-verbal communication. The king nearly kicked his general for the indirect goading.

The general leaves them alone. Remus turns to Sirius right away.

"Are you alright ?" He asks.

The prince nodds quickly. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine."

"Remember." Remus rests his palm on his shoulder. "Any moment you feel uncomfortable, tell me."

Sirius voices his understanding.

"And.." Remus tucks the black hair behind his ear. "You must stay within my sight."

At the prince's reply, Remus opens the door before the servants could for him. Sirius stayed behind him, trying to make himself smaller so to not attract the eyes of the other generals.

The people stood up and bowed as Remus passes. The king returns their greeting. Meanwhile, Sirius walks swiftly to the piano.

"Thank you for joining me tonight. We will be discussing the plan to take the younger Black prince. For now, let us enjoy the wonderful course prepared."

The table comes to life. The generals, used to shouting orders, spoke loudly. They poured wine and rattled excitedly of the well formed strategy.

From behind the piano, Sirius could see how pleased Remus was. Tonight was clearly a celebration for the hardwork they've put in. Feeling the fanfare atmosphere, Sirius plays a light tune.

That was when an older general struck a nerve.

"So, your majesty is keeping the unwanted Black prince as a pet ?"

Remus stops eating. His expression turning sour by the second. The other generals have quieted down, curiosity getting the best of them.

Sirius kept playing, pretending he didn't hear them. His grey eyes stay trained on the keys. He's used to this, Sirius thinks. He'd been belittled in the courtroom before, the general's jab shouldn't bother him.

"I see he's as pretty as the rumors say. Perhaps I'll have a go with him once you're finished, your majesty." He cackles.

None followed his humor. Half of them were annoyed at the condescension for they know how Sirius had helped them strategize and, most importantly, made their leader happier. Half of them quivered at Remus' sudden stillness.

"What's your name general ?" Remus asks.

The man thought he'd interested Remus. He boasted his clan's name and symbol.

"Do you have a successor General Edgecombe ?"

He, again, spoke highly of his daughters and sons. Only to be interrupted by Remus.

"Good. Because if you speak of prince Black again.... at least the Edgecombe line does not end with you."

The general, flustered and offended, stands up to defend his pride. "What has the prince done to our king !? He has bewitched you, your majesty ! Why are you protecting the son of scum ?"

Edgecombe stomps towards Sirius by the piano, ignoring the other generals' attempts to hold him off. Before a finger lays on Sirius, Remus speaks.

"Touch him and I'll make sure the Edgcome clan never existed."

The haughty general knows the king's words are not to be played with. He turns his heel back to the table, not before huffing at Sirius.

"At first, I allowed prince Black to be around us because of the information he provides. Rememeber general, we would not celebrate tonight without his help." Remus cuts the steak on his plate calmly. "And then, that son of scum helped your king in his duties by playing music. What have YOU done to help us ?"