Being King

Eversince King Lupin married Prince Black his menacing aura seemed to dial down. He no longer sat, brooding on his throne or glared at anyone who dared to look  longer than 5 seconds. The king became outwardly gentler.

His smiles, once rare, were now a daily sight. Usually accompanied with Sirius' name on his lips. He talks more and laughs harder. No doubt coaxed by his own husband.

For that, the people of the Lupin castle are glad. They love that Sirius brought the best out of their king. But sometimes... the scary werewolf king returns.

***

The ministers squirm in their seats. Having sat there for hours, their bums and brains entered a soreness competition. Meanwhile, the king does not show any signs of ending the meeting. 

"How about we approve section 3A and, if it's a success, we continue on to 3B ?" The Minister of Health spoke up.

The king hummed, taking it into consideration. "And what of 4C and 5A ?"

Crap, the minister cursed. She hadn't thought of that yet.

Approving a kingdom-wide is similar to moving a chess piece. The king and his ministers must think three, four, even five steps ahead, while anticipating any shortcomings. They simply can't misstep and risk the common people's peace. It's impossible.

The ministers are at their wit's end. As much as they admire their king for his perseverance and dedication, Gods above... they need a break !

"We're on it Sir," Another minister said, sipping hard on his coffee.

The Minister of Education thought this was how he'll end up, seated for the rest of his life. That was until their saviour came knocking on the door.

It was a unique knock. Almost like a code between the kings. Remus smiles softly, despite having worn a frown all night.

"Come in, love."

Sirius enters with a few servants behind him. They set a fresh pot of tea and coffee. Not forgetting a plate of warm cookies to ease the head. While the servants deal with the Ministers, Sirius deals with Remus.

Lucky for them, the once foreign prince had learned the correct buttons to push with a restless Remus.

He presses a warm palm on the king's tense nape, massaging it comfortingly. To the point Remus' shoulders relaxed and his eyelids fluttered shit. Meanwhile, Sirius' other hand cards through Remus' hair, lightly applying pressure as it passed his temples.

"Don't you think the meeting has gone too late, Moons ?" Sirius asks.

He catches the eye of a few ministers and send them knowing looks. They quiet down to help Sirius do his magic.

Remus chuckles. "I know what you're trying to do."

Some of the ministers sag in their seats. There goes their chance !

"You've tired yourself Re. You can't find answers when you're halfway to the grave." Sirius scolds.

Remus opens his lips to protest but one raised eyebrow from Sirius made him shut up.

"Remus, you and your ministers need to rest. Good decisions come from a sound mind. Staying up the whole night won't give you that."

Sirius winks at the grateful ministers once Remus nodds defeatedly. He keeps both his hands on Remus' shoulders in an attempt to ease the tension there while the king adjourns the meeting.

"My king commands me to stop, so I stop," Remus says, chuckling lightly at his ministers. "You all may go. Goodnight. I'll see you here tomorrow afternoon."

The ministers file out after bowing to their monarchs, leaving Remus in Sirius' hands. The room empties quickly.

"Let's go too." Sirius kisses his temple.

Remus returns the kiss on Sirius' left hand that rested on his shoulder. Specifically on the gleaming gold ring on his fourth finger.

"Let's."

***

Sirius lifts the crown off Remus' head and puts it on their desk. The king finally sheds all his layers, all his kingdom duties, and simply becomes Sirius' husband.