Nightmares and Dreams

What I think Sirius would wear

***

"Wake up, Remus. Wake up."

Sirius looked beautiful. The sun a halo behind his head, yet his grey eyes shone brighter than steel. Remus let himself smile for a second.

"Remus, my love, please wake up."

The king didn't think his body would allow that. His limbs felt like it was ripped from its hinges. Still, he reached up, grasping to hold Sirius.

The kind face contorted to a bloody face he'd seen in the battle field. Sirius' smile stretched into an unworldly, sharp-toothed grin. Globs of blood dripped from the wolf's fangs.

The beast flung its head from side to side, as if tearing something. Remus scrambled back. Dragging himself on crimson covered snow, away from the wolf. From himself.

That's when he saw it. The body crumpled inches behind the wild monster. His neck snapped in an unnatural angle. Skin and limbs torn and broken.

"Sirius." Remus' voice came ragged.

No, this can't be.

"Wake up, Remus."

Sirius' soul-less grey eyes stared back at him.

"Wake up."

Blood dribbled from the man's neck.

"WAKE UP."

Remus sat up with a gasp. His chest heaved as if he'd trained with Lily. Sweat cooled his back, even his hair stuck on his forehead.

It was all a dream.

The moon isn't for a few days. Sirius will be kept far from him when it happens. He'll be drugged with enough Wolfsbane that he won't be able to even lift a finger. Right now, the Lupin's Songbird is probably asleep in his chambers, several doors down.

Remus laid back down. Uncomfortable from the clamminess and adrenaline that pumped his veins. He was being irrational. Sirius is safe. Sirius is alive and well and asleep in his room.

In fact, the king had arranged with his general in the case of an uncontrollable moon. He made them promise to keep Sirius away, as far as possible, from him. To lock him up in a prison tower if that ensured the prince's safety.

"I have to.." Remus murmured. "..check. Yeah, just to check."

He could invite the seers with third eyes to explain his dreams. Perhaps they'll tell him that the next moon will kill him or some other variation of a terrible outcome. But none of them could ensure Sirius' safety like he can.

***

"You appear in my doorstep at midnight," Sirius glanced to the silver sword in Remus' hand. "With a weapon."