Chapter nine

I hear my alarm ringing, it's 6am.
I rise out of bed.

It's happening.

I have been given no uniform for the coffee shop yet so I wear my school uniform.

I go to the dining hall to eat my toast for breakfast, as I always do. Go back to my dorm to brush my teeth and then head to the courtyard where I am meeting Xavier.

He stands in uniform, light brown shirt tucked into his dark jeans. What am I going to look like dressed in.. that.

"Oh good you're here, I thought you were going to bail on me.", he greets as he walks up to me.

He hands me a shirt that matches his, a deep red apron, and a pair of black skinny jeans. Somehow he got my size right.

"I figured you wouldn't own any jeans so I picked a pair up for you."

"Thanks.."

We make our way to the coffee shop, walking through the forest, following the trail of footsteps left from those walking before us. Xavier and I keep light conversation going between us, a laugh being heard every now and then.

We arrive at the coffee shop.
My stomach sinks.

Xavier opens the door for me, I walk in to find Tyler is already cleaning counters preparing for the day ahead.

"Tyler, this is Delilah. She'll be helping us out for the next couple weeks."

Oh no he's going to respond.

"Hello, make yourself comfortable. There's a bathroom around the corner of the coffee shop that you can get changed at."

His voice..

"Thank you..", I can barely say the words loud enough for him to hear me.

Xavier steps out of the way so I can go to the bathrooms to put on this.. disaster of a uniform.

After I am changed, I look at myself in the mirror to see how bad the damage is. It looks horrific. Why can't clothes just be in black. At least Xavier made the jeans black.. That's one thing.

I walk back to the coffee shop closing the door slowly behind me, taking what little time I have left before to keep my dignity.

It's 8:45am, 15 minutes before we open.

"Xavier why don't you serve tables while Delilah and I run the counter", Tyler offers.

Oh no.

"Yeah sure that's easy."

Damn.

9:00am arrives.

Tyler turns to me.

"Nervous?", he questions me.

"About what?", I return.

"Well your first day of course. I heard you were only told about this yesterday.. I know Xavier appreciates the help, between the two of us running this shop hasn't been easy the past couple weeks."

Of course.. I'm only doing this for Xavier why would Tyler appreciate it.

"I don't get nervous over such simple matters."

There's a moment of silence, a light tension eating away at us.

"I do, as well, appreciate you helping out..", he stammered.

Did his voice just quiver?

"I'm.. glad I could help."

~