Chapter 4

In the end, Lan Wangji had not had time to neither properly meditate nor find a book that could help him in his predicament. The moment to go to the classroom for the first lecture was upon him. With a great sigh, he put down the book he was currently holding and he sneaked out of the Library pavilion. He locked the door again and headed to where the guest lectures were to be held this year.

He was the first disciple to arrive, just as it was proper for the head disciplinarian of the hosting sect. He bowed politely before entering the lecture hall. As he was walking towards the small podium on which was the teacher's – his uncle's – desk, he felt like something was not completely right.

He slowed his steps and looked around attentively, trying to pinpoint the source of his sudden unrest. However, he could see nothing out of the ordinary. The classroom was prepared for a number of disciples, exactly in a way it would be for any other lecture. Scrolls for taking notes, inkstones and brushes were neatly arranged on every desk. Everything was without a speck of dust or dirt anywhere, all clean and proper, just waiting for the students to arrive.

Lan Wangji went to the place which he usually occupied and sat down with his back perfectly straight. He had to set a good example for the guest disciples. It would not do if they saw him spacing out or sitting improperly.

It was only after he looked towards the teacher's desk that he finally understood what had been feeling so strange to him. It was like a déjà vu in fact. The view he had of the scenery before him was way too close for comfort to the one from his vision earlier. Perhaps if he was sitting just one desk to the right side, it would be the exactly same one. Even the view out of the open window and into a closed off courtyard was matching perfectly.

Lan Wangji stilled for a second, he even forgot to breathe. Sure, the classroom was looking very similar to any other one. But it was still only on the level of very similar, not exactly the same. As a matter of fact, Lan Wangji had never been in this particular classroom before. How come he had had a vision of it?

And not only that. He had seen the Qishan Wen disciples coming in and possibly steering up trouble. It could not be that he had had a premonition, right? That would be way too strange. No one had the power to predict future.

Lan Wangji was so lost in his musing that he barely noticed he was not the only one in the room anymore only after the noise around him had gotten too loud to ignore. The lecture hall was full now, it was almost time to start the class. The only place that he could see not occupied was the one to his right.

Suddenly, a disciple in a white guest uniform plopped to sit in that seat. He looked all dishevelled and slightly out of breath, as if he had been running in order not to be late. Lan Wangji wanted to reprimand him, but he held his urge back. After all, it was only the first day and it was possible that not all of the guest disciples were fully familiar with the Gusu Lan sect rules. That was why he was here, to act as an example and teach them the correct ways.

The disciple to his right turned towards him and Lan Wangji's eyes went very wide. In the same way as the other's did. For that person was no one else but Wei Wuxian.

The Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple had had a huge grin on his lips until then. However, as soon as he realized who was sitting next to Lan Wangji, his expression went icy and he bowed his head politely in a greeting: "Second Young Master Lan."

Was he perhaps trying to make Lan Wangji believe that he had not been acting all rumbustious just a second ago? What were his intentions? He surely must have had a hidden agenda of sorts. Nevertheless, seeing that he had to return the greeting, Lan Wangji also bowed his head slightly: "Wei Wuxian."

It looked like the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple had not expected his name to be known. His eyes went wide again and something flashed thought them. It was gone before Lan Wangji could name it properly. It must have not been important.

Wei Wuxian turned away towards the seat behind him and whispered to another disciple who was sitting there: "Brother Nie, do you want to switch with me?"

That disciple, Lan Wangji now recognized him, he was the younger brother of the Qinghe Nie sect leader, Nie Huisang, hid behind his fan and shook his head: "Sorry, brother Wei, I think I am actually better here."

Lan Wangji saw Wei Wuxian make a pouty disappointed face and then the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple turned back to look forward. He put one of his elbows onto the table and rested his head in his palm. He still looked pouty and for a very strange reason, Lan Wangji suddenly did not want to scold him anymore. Wei Wuxian seemed very tired and his eyes were falling closed. Lan Qiren could reprimand him when he came in, but until then, Lan Wangji would ignore this subtle rebellious gesture.

It did not even take one incense stick of time and his uncle was already coming in. Lan Wangji glanced at his neighbour, but Wei Wuxian was already doing his best to sit properly again. Nothing to be unsatisfied about anymore.

The lecture started and Lan Wangji was once again startled by how similar it looked to his vision. Lan Qiren was reading the rules and everyone was listening silently. That specific point in the recitation approached, the one where the door had flown open in his daydream and Lan Wangji was getting unsettled. It had already been very curious, strange even, how similar everything looked until now. If it would continue like this, Lan Wangji would actually have to admit that he had in fact had a future predicting dream.