Chapter 19

After some more tight hugs and a thorough examination by a healer, a small man in olive green robes, Lan Wangji was finally being left to breathe for a second. Wei Ying and Lan Xichen lingered nearby so they would not obstruct the doctor's work. Lan Wangji was shooting them glances ever so often during his examination. He dearly wanted it to be over, then, he would finally be able to properly sooth his husband who still looked quite distressed, although very relieved.

"Are you feeling any better now?" the healer asked him and Lan Wangji had to once again pay attention to him.

He managed to nod weakly. With the doctor's careful care, he was finally able to control his body, if only a little bit. It was understandable though, when the thought about it.

Lan Xichen had quickly guessed that he had been confused and had provided at least the basic set of information. Apparently, he had been unconscious, or more like asleep since he had in fact been hit with a kind of sleep curse activated by poison on the dagger he had stopped for his husband. He did not yet get full clarity on all the details, but the main fact stayed the same; he had been asleep for over a month. No wonder his body was feeling all stiff and weak, the poison had also a pretty inconvenient side effect where it suppressed his golden core and basically made him a normal person, at least in what concerned his health.

"I am glad to hear that," the healer gave him a nod of his own. He looked young and tired, he must have been taking care of Lan Wangji very diligently, and probably also without any rest. In fact, he was no better off than Wei Ying and Lan Xichen in this aspect.

He took out a bottle of medicine from his sleeve and prepared a concoction in a bowl. He did not directly move to make Lan Wangji drink it luckily. Although it was probably part of his job to make sure that his patients got their medicine, even when they were so weak they could not drink it by themselves, he had only put the bowl on a side table and stepped back with a long sigh. He must have been truly exhausted.

"This will help with your throat," he explained as he pointed at the medicine.

Lan Wangji was confused for a second as to why he was just leaving it there. He wanted to take it immediately. If it could truly help him to be able to speak again, he needed it right this instant. He still had a very anxious and borderline panicking husband to reassure. Why would the healer not help him with this? He was still too weak to reach out for the bowl and drink the medicine without any help.

The healer ignored his worries, perhaps he could not read him or he was too tired to care anymore. Or he was aware that there were other people in the room who would support and help him.

Lan Wangji saw Wei Ying nodding his head vehemently from the corner of his eye. He seemed more than eager to take care of him. His heart was melting from the warmth which completely overtook it. He felt wetness well in his eyes.

It was such a stark contrast to the Wei Wuxian he had seen during his sleep, this was his husband, no doubts about it. Lan Wangji would not take it any other way, he was grateful that he was once again able to bask in Wei Ying's love and kindness and not be constantly rejected and pushed away. Especially now that he knew how painful it could be. There was no way he would lose his husband ever again, he would not allow it.

"Of course," his soulmate was quick to reassure the healer that he understood what needed to be done next.

The man looked satisfied and several wrinkles disappeared from his forehead. He turned back to Lan Wangji: "Second Young Master Lan, your golden core is already recovering, but I would still advise for you not to strain yourself for the next few days. Our sect leader will welcome you for however long will be required for your recovery. And," at this he gave Lan Wangji a small tired smile, "Young Master Wei and acting Sect leader Lan will for sure explain the situation better than me. I will be in the room next door, come find me if you need anything."

Lan Wangji gave a nod of gratitude, at least now he knew what he was facing. He had many more questions, but he did not want to keep the healer away from rest any longer, the man truly looked like he would keel over any second. He could get the whole story from Wei Ying.

His husband was as always thinking the same and he spoke for him, giving the man a bow of gratitude: "Thank you for all your hard work. I do not know what we would have done without you. Have a great rest."

The man bowed back, his eyelids already dropping, and he left the room the next instant.

Lan Wangji wanted to have Wei Ying close so he appreciated it very much when Lan Xichen came to his bed to echo the doctor's words: "Wangji, I am really happy that you are finally awake. These last few weeks have been extremely... challenging. I will also excuse myself, we can talk about official business at a later date. I believe that right now, you most likely want Young Master Wei by your side more than your boring older brother. Let me know if you need anything though, Wuxian knows where to find me."

Once again, Lan Wangji could only nod his head. His throat remained mostly unusable despite having been made to drink some water not long ago. For now, this much seemed the only gratitude he could offer to his brother. For he was sure that Lan Xichen had been greatly underestimating the actual gravity of the current situation when he had said it was 'challenging'.

The inter-sect politics and Wei Ying's reputation had been pretty fragile when he had been injured by the dagger already, how bad could it have turned in one additional month without him fighting tooth and nail against everyone? After all, Lan Wangji had been injured during an attempt at his husband's life. The events at the Guanyin temple had tipped the balances of power and relationships between the great cultivation sects and he had been running high and low to fix everything and to make the world know the truth about the events of sixteen years ago.

His brother must have had a really tough time when Lan Wangji had been indisposed. He also looked like it; despite keeping up a kind smile, his expression was deeply exhausted. There was also not so well hidden sadness and it was only now that Lan Wangji realized that Lan Xichen had come out of his seclusion and had interrupted his grieving period, presumably just for him. Someone must have maintained everything in order and step up as a temporary Gusu Lan sect leader. Lan Wangji could never wish for a better brother, he would have to thank him profusely once he was feeling better.

Finally, it was only him and Wei Ying in the room. Lan Wangji let himself relax more into his blankets, glad that he did not have to keep up any pretence in front of his husband. Although he had told the healer that he was doing better – which he was in fact – he was still far from recovered. He did not want to go back to sleep but his body was not exactly cooperating with him in this aspect.

He felt Wei Ying gently kissing his forehead and hugging him tightly again. He was keeping his eyes open with some difficulty, he wanted to see Wei Ying, his Wei Ying. Then, his husband gently helped him to sit up, holding him in place until he was able to get behind him and provide more support. It was time to take his medicine and to finally say what he had wished to ever since he had woken up: Wei Ying, I love you.

Happy new year everyone! 

May all your dreams and aspirations come true and may you be happy and healthy :)