Chapter 5 - Collateral Damage

"Innocent? Innocent just means...Acceptable Risk" Claire smiles as a loud gunshot echoes through the empty gallery.

Alex gasps as she quickly sits up in her bed and feels the sweat dripping from her forehead. She looks around frantically, and soon realizes she was safe in her bedroom at her dad's apartment. The room was still dark as she reaches over and grabs her phone, noticing the time was 4:40am. Alex takes a deep breath as she places her phone down on her bed and brings her hand up to her forehead, adding a bit of pressure right in the middle. "You've got this" she whispers to herself. She takes one more deep breath before deciding to slowly get out of bed and get ready for work.

"Hey, kiddo. Ready for your first day back?" Greg's voice beams as she walks into the kitchen. Her father slides a mug full of fresh coffee across the counter on the island and shows her a small smile.
"Can't wait" Alex says softly, taking the warm mug in her hands and taking a sip.

To be honest, Alex was nervous. All she could think about was Claire and how she failed to save her. Alex had only known Claire for a few months, but up until that point she was a friend to her. Greg then notices Alex zoning out and something felt off about it.
"Hey" he says, grabbing her attention and causing her to look up towards him.
"You okay?" he then asks and she smiles and slowly nods her head.
"Yeah, I'm okay," she states.
"It's been two months, Alex. If you need more time off. I can definitely get it for you" Greg advises and Alex quickly shakes her head.
"No. No...It's fine. I'm okay" she says, placing her cup onto the counter.
"We should get going" she then says, grabbing her bag from the chair beside her and walking towards the door.
"Okay, then" Greg sighs as he places his cup down, grabs his bag, and follows behind Alex.

***

"Ben's wife has nothing to do with Brenton. She's innocent. Claire...Like your husband was innocent" Alex states and Claire slowly turns to look at her.

Alex lets out a deep breath as she tightens her grip on the edge of the counter in the women's change room. Her heart was racing and her palms were sweating but she quickly shakes her head slightly and turns the cold water on in the sink.
"Hey! You're back" Jules smiles as she walks into the change room.
"I am" Alex says, forcing a small smile.
"Thank god. I wouldn't have been able to handle all of these guys by myself for one more day" Jules laughs, walking over towards her locker hearing Alex snicker.
"I bet they were all more afraid of you" Alex laughs as she grabs her jacket off the bench, listening to Jules laugh as she opens her locker.  
"I'll meet you in the briefing room" Alex states.
"Okay" Jules says, as Alex walks out the door.

"Really? I bought Ice Cream last night" Alex hears Eddie's voice say as she walks into the briefing room and spots him talking on his phone. She walks towards her father and Wordy looking over documents on the table and smiles as they both look up towards her.
"Sophie, I'm not giving you a hard time. Look, you are pregnant, you are beautiful, and you should eat whatever you want" Eddie says and Alex looks towards him as he smiles back towards her.
"Send Clark out to get some more" he then adds and he looks down at the papers that Greg and Wordy were looking at.
"I gotta go," he says.
"Okay, Love you too." He finishes as he hangs up the phone and places it back in his pocket.

"Talking to Sophie again?" Greg asks as Eddie walks around the table and pulls Alex into a tight hug.
"Hey, Kiddo," he says.
"How many times has she called today? We've only been here for an hour" Greg laughs and Eddie turns to look back at him and sighs.
"I lost count" he admits
"Which stage is she at -- the...get me this stage, or the...do you still love me stage?" Wordy laughs, causing Eddie to laugh as well.
"Or the...I'm fat and it's your fault stage?" Greg asks as Alex laughs and sits down next to Wordy.
"It's worth it, once you hold 'em in your arms for the first time" Wordy says and all three of the guys nod their heads.
"Yeah, it is," Eddie sighs before the loud alarm echoes through the briefing room and Winnie's voice comes through the speaker.
"Team One, hot call!" she says, causing all four of them to walk out of the briefing room and towards her desk in the hall.
"Armed prisoners escaped from a transport van" Winnie advies.
"Where?" Alex asks.
"Leslie and Eastern" she says.
"How many on board?" Eddie questions.
"Two prisoners. They escaped with an unknown accomplice" Winnie states as the team continues to walk past her and towards the garage.
"Issue a citywide alert and get me a manifest for that van. We need to know who we're dealing with" Greg says loudly and Winnie nods her head.
"Getting that for you right now" Winnie admits quietly turning to look at another computer on her desk.