Chapter 3: Jumping At Shadows

Alex sits on the bench in front of her locker and opens the little white box she grabbed off the top shelf. She then smiles as she lifts the gold necklace with the letter "A" on it. She gently rubs her finger over the three diamonds inside the letter and feels tears about to escape. "The three diamonds represent me, you, and Spike. A rose between two thorns" Lou's voice says in her head as she remembers the voicemail that is still on her phone. Alex then stands up placing the white box back on the top shelf and slowly wraps the necklace around her neck doing it up in the back and letting it fall. "You ok?" Jules voice asks as she begins to walk by Alex. Alex closes her locker with a smile on her face and turns around.

"Yeah, I'm okay" Alex says as she follows Jules out of the locker room. When they open the door and walk out they notice Spike and Wordy walking towards them.

"Hey" Alex smiles as Spike looks towards her with a smirk.

"Hey, Beautiful" Spike says.

"Hey!" Jules jokes as she wraps her arm around Spikes shoulder causing everyone to laugh.

"Funny" Alex states as she looks over at Jules as she takes her arm off Spikes shoulder.

As they all walk out into the main hall they hear Winnie ending a phone call and Alex begins to walk backwards towards her desk still wanting to listen to Jules as she talks. Suddenly Alex bumps into a hard surface and quickly turns around to see what it was. Her stomach then drops and her eyes go wide as she notices the familiar face looking back at her. "Alex" he says shocked as Spike, Jules, and Wordy walk up behind her.

"Dean" Alex whispers as Winnie walks towards them and notices Dean standing there.

"Hi, can I help you?" Winnie asks and Dean looks back and forth between Winnie and Alex and then back at Winnie and smiles.

"I'm here to see Greg Parker" Dean admits.

"Sure. Can I tell him who it is?" Winnie asks and Dean looks back at Alex.

"Yeah, Dean Parker" he says and small gasps could he heard as Alex looks to the floor feeling the anger and frustration creep up inside her.

"I got this Winnie" Alex states bluntly.

"Copy that, Sarge" Winnie says as she takes the folder she was carrying and continues to walk down the hall.

"Sargent, huh? Congrats" Dean says with a small smile as Alex looks back up at him.

"What are you doing here Dean?" Alex questions annoyed.

"I'm here to see dad, Alex" Dean admits as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"Oh, really. Ten years later? It took you long enough" Alex snaps and she immediately feels Spike's hand on her back.

"Alex, I was only five when mom decided to leave. I had no choice" Dean argues back.

"Yeah, I know. You were always a mommy's boy" Alex says furiously and suddenly he takes a step towards her causing Wordy to run around and hold him back as Spike holds Alex back.

"What about you Alex! Mom never really meant anything to you, did she?" Dean yells and Alex snickers.

"Unlike you Dean. I believed dad could change and I wasn't gonna just leave him! I was eight years old and yet I still made the right choice!" Alex screams.

"Oh, come on, Alex! You-" Dean begins but a voice cuts him off.

"Hey!" Eddie screams as him and Greg walk out of the briefing room and towards them.