25

A soft melody was played, mixing well with the songbirds chirping outside from the opened window. No mistakes could be detected, and the song being played was done so flawless, it was shocking to know Sakiko only started learning the piece a week ago. The lilac haired girl sat there, her features wholly concentrated on the piano before her. You stood there on the side, hand gripping tight on the microphone. Sweat slicked the palms, forcing you to rub them on the fabrics of your uniform.

When you opened your mouth to sing, much to your horror, the first word contained a voice crack. Quickly clearing your throat, you could only wish to burrow into a hole and die. Hot and flustered, you turned to your partner, who had stopped her piano playing.

Rather than annoyed or disappointed, she was patient as anyone could ever be. A smile continued to stay there, her silver eyes empathetic to what you were going through. It didn't exactly make you feel any better -- indeed, it made you feel guilty if anything. "Take your time, [Y/N]. We still have a few weeks left. You got this!"

Why did you agree to do this again? At that moment of time, the scenario with that one bullied victim had gotten you too into your feelings that you weren't thinking. It only winded you up here, after rushing to an agreement. This wasn't going to prove anyone of anything. Your voice wasn't suited for this song and the mistakes were beginning to pile up. All you were doing was dragging Sakiko down from her true potential. It was unfair to her.

Besides, you had a lot on your plate: your father, graduation, elites... etc. etc. Was it too late to opt out from this? But that would also be unfair to the female elite as well.

"How about we go on a water break? I could use a drink too," she suggested, pushing her seat back to stand up.

"Oh... sure," you answered, stepping away from the stage. Following the girl out of the room, you strolled through the halls with her.

It was difficult not to notice the way her fingers were dented and red. The bags beneath her eyes were quite prominent as well, showcasing the lack of sleep she had as of late. She soon realized where you were staring. Eyes wide in a panic, she quickly hid her hands behind her back, releasing a nervous laugh. "Sorry. They're probably like this because of school today. Some of my classes were quite the nice challenge today."

You slowly nodded, not entirely buying it but decided against pushing it. She was obviously not comfortable with sharing. Either that, or what was said was the truth. The two of you soon turned a corner, arriving at an open area with vending machines lined up. Sakiko approached the nearest one, plopping two coins into the money eater. Tapping a button, the drink was dropped to the bottom, so the girl bent down to fetch it. Just as you were about to take your wallet out, she held a hand out and put in more money.

"My treat," she told you, smiling. "Go ahead and pick the one you want."

"You didn't have to," you said, chuckling awkwardly and scratching the back of your head. "But thank you." Another button was pressed, handing you a cold tea drink. Unwinding the cap, you began to drink out of it, cleaning up the dry Sahara desert known as your mouth.

As it was about time to retreat back to the music room, another figure popped up. Sweat glistening along the side of his arms and legs, he looked as if he went straight through hell and back. Out of his uniform and in a white tank and shorts, it was Kouki.

"What are you doing here?" you asked, brows raised. Suddenly, you saw brown and silver hues clashing, both filled of coldness. Shit-- that was right. Kouki and Sakiko had history together. Were you going to see another interaction between them? This might be proven interesting.

His attention turned on you afterwards. "I could say the same about you two."

"I asked first," you argued.