31

The auditorium was jam packed behind the red, velvet curtains, the audience sitting and conversing loudly with one another before the actual show. Multiple balconies hung on the back walls, full of people as the rows below, giving off theatre vibes to the performers who awaited backstage. Large beams of lights strung down upon the stage, illuminating the dark platform and casting shadows on everything else that didn't include the stage. When the clicks of the heels echoed and approached a microphone set up on the side, the spectators were quick to silence themselves.

It was a girl that went to your school. Her blonde locks were braided into two and she gave off a look of youthfulness. She was known to be very high up there in the rank fours, not straying that far behind from the elites. Her name was Akemi, the vice president to the student council, the group that held this show in the first place. "Welcome to another year of Dawning High's talent show!" she greeted, her voice loud and clear like silk. The audience applauded in excitement, cheering for what the night would bring to them. She played the role perfectly as emcee.

You also didn't expect it to be this big. Usually, talent shows were lame, with barely anyone attending because kids back in your previous life preferred to spend their time studying than practice for a dumb show that didn't bring anything to the table in the end.

But this was Dawning High. The prize hooked all sorts of contestants in, for the winner was either offered money or a rank up in the school system, not including those aiming for rank five. Akemi continued on with her speech. "This year we are joined by many talented individuals or groups who dare wishes to showcase their skills to the world. We hope you all are excited as we are to witness this tradition. Now, without further ado, let us start off with the one and only Sakiko Ono! And her partner, [Y/N] [L/N]. Please give them a round of applause."

You tensed up, but a hand was placed over yours, the touch comforting. It was Sakiko, dressed in a shimmering purple dress that daintily hung on her form prettily. Her lilac locks were also done, curled and put up into a braided bun. You never thought she could look any more lovely, but here she was, keeping your gaze glued on her like a magnet. On the other hand, you seemed bland beside her, dressed in a simple black dress that many would see in an orchestra or something.

Bringing your attention back to the present, you took a deep breath in to calm yourself. You hated the fact that you were going first. Since Sakiko was an elite, she had the honors of going first in the show, so you were really left with no choice. The girl squeezed your hand, shooting you a quick assuring smile. "I know you're nervous, but trust me, this will go amazing! You worked hard on this and that makes me feel so proud."

"What are you saying? You worked just as hard as I have, if not more," you protested, returning the smile anyway. She calmed your nerves slightly and for the short time being, you felt like nothing could go wrong.

Unfortunately, that was the last of the conversation, as it was showtime. Sakiko pulled you through the curtains, causing you to tense up like a deer caught in headlights. Everyone's eyes were on the two of you. It felt like they were searching for something from the stranger that dared walk on the same level as the talented elite, already prepared to judge you like the way your father did on a daily basis. Your partner strolled towards the piano in the corner, glancing back to give you a nod. With no hesitation, you grabbed the microphone stand and pulled it towards the middle of the stage. Facing the front of the crowd, you tried not to gulp down the lump growing in your throat -- their eyes were zoning in on you like a hawk, dissecting your gangly self wholly.

Clearing your throat, you could feel your limbs shaking constantly. No matter how much you willed them to stop, they would not, as if they had a mind of their own. "Hello everyone. I'm [Y/N] and the girl behind me is Sakiko. Today, we will be playing the piano and singing a song we practiced for a month. We..."