sixteen

Elvira emerged from the bathroom after taking a much needed shower, to see Enid and Wednesday talking. Enid had come back just as Elvira was heading into the bathroom, and the two had spent over and hour catching up together.

Elvira brushed through her hair, not paying too much attention to their conversation before she heard words that worried her.

"I'm sorry about Xavier," Enid said. Elvira whirled around to look at the two, confusion and worry written on her face.

"I'm not. He's a liar, and a killer," Wednesday responded.

"What do you mean? What happened to Xavier?" Elvira asked. Wednesday turned around to look at her, and Elvira only grew more worried when she caught a flash of remorse flit across Wednesday's face. "Wednesday, what happened?"

"Xavier is the Hyde, and he was arrested for it," Wednesday informed her nonchalantly. Elvira's eyes widened and she pressed her lips together.

"No, he's not Wednesday. I don't know how many times I need to tell you, but their brain signals don't match! If Xavier had been the Hyde, I would have known, and I would have said something!" Elvira cried.

"No. I think you were just too blinded by your feelings for him to realize that he's been lying to you this entire time," Wednesday responded. Elvira shook her head, her expression horrified.

"Where is he?" She asked.

"Elvira," Enid tried to interrupt, but the brunette wasn't having it.

"Where is he?" She demanded.

"He's locked up in the county jail," Wednesday answered. Elvira immediately stormed out of the room, and headed out of Nevermore. She needed to fix this.

***

It didn't take the twenty five minutes to walk to Jericho that Thornhill said it would, but perhaps that was because Elvira was on a mission. She got there in a record fifteen, bursting through the front door of the jail. She didn't bother with the front desk, simply raising her hand and electrocuting the guards, and the receptionist. She knocked out the cameras, before making her way to find Xavier.

She stormed into the cell block, and immediately spotted him. Xavier was heavily chained, and he looked exhausted.

"Elvira," he said in surprised as she walked up to him.

"I had no idea," she stated, and he lowered his head sadly.

"I know," he assured her.

"What the hell? This is so annoying. I've told Wednesday over and over that you're not the Hyde, and yet she goes and does this. How could she?" Elvira ranted.

"Vir. It's going to be okay," he promised. "If there's anyone I trust to make this right, it's you."

"I will fix this, trust me," she told him. Xavier nodded and offered her his best smile.

"I know you will, but Vir, you really shouldn't be here right now. It's late, and that monster is still out there. Please go back so that it doesn't get you," he requested. Elvira reached through the bar and grabbed his chained hand, squeezing it.

"I will get you out of there," she promised. Xavier nodded, and then Elvira let go, making her way back out of the building. She was prepared to march straight into Sheriff Galpin's office and prove that Xavier wasn't the Hyde, but unfortunately, the building was locked. She was about to go to his house when she saw her cousin burst out the door from the Weathervane, seemingly in a panic. "Wednesday?"

Wednesday looked over to her, and rushed over.

"We need to get back to Nevermore, now!" She demanded. She grabbed Elvira's hand and dragged her along with her as she ran.