➤ 二

— THE LIGHT SHIMMERED ON to the laying girl's figure

— THE LIGHT SHIMMERED ON to the laying girl's figure. her eyes slowly flickered open as she felt light engulfing her, she basked under the warmth. however, it wasn't long till she felt something sharp pricking on her body. her eyes snapped open to realize— she was sleeping on a stack of hay, her eyes lingered to her tiny hands, to notice that she was beyond scrawny, she was covered in brown dirt.

her eyes lit up in perplexity as she forced herself to sit up, only then she noticed her pitiful surroundings. she was in a closed space, but there were a few openings that made the whole structure uncanny. there were no floors, just dirt ground, and there were pools of mud everywhere around the area.

she perked up when she heard something. 'oink,' a sound was made, her gaze shifted from her surroundings to something that was next to her. the girl yelped— there, she saw a big fat pig licking her feet with its putrid saliva. [name] backed up out of her reflex.

she stood up almost immediately, facing down on her small puny figure, she noticed just how torn and dirty her kimono was. she looked disgraceful. the little girl scanned her surroundings in the pig den. she wondered quietly. "who am i?" she questioned with a hushed whisper, as if she was frightened of being caught.

the little girl slowly trekked through the pile of hay and made her way outside of the disheveled den. the girl scanned the wide area around her. she noticed that there were plenty of livestock in this area. she noticed there was a small gap between the gates and the chicken dens. 'perhaps i could go through,' she thought. her heart was racing, for whatever reason.

she felt strange. eerie of her surroundings, as if she wasn't supposed to be here. it felt haunting for the little girl, but she couldn't explain why. it felt as if she was just borned, but somehow, as a presumably eight year old child.

she ducked down and walked through the small opening that fit her perfectly, thanks to her scrawny figure. the little girl halted in her tracks, her eyes widened in a strong tint of consternation. her mind was spinning, drenching in perturbation at the sight. horror struck her heart.

the girl took a step back. there, she witnessed a man throwing a bunch of children on top of each other, their bodies covered in gashes and bruises. the girl assumed that they were lifeless as all of their eyes were wide, staring at her direction. their eyes were empty, dark, but the girl could see them begging for life, even if they were lifeless.

the girl tripped upon not seeing there was a large rock as she landed on to the ground with a loud thud. "hm?" she heard from a distance. she shuddered at the voice that was icy and unwelcoming. heavy footsteps were heard sauntering towards her direction. the girl couldn't move. she fell silent, unable to respond due to the image of dead bodies.

she felt her breathing unable to be controlled, as she felt herself panting the more the footsteps were nearing towards her location. 'think!' the girl exclaimed in her mind, but she couldn't. the eyes of the children bored into her mind as she continued trembling uncontrollably out of fear.

she somehow felt— culpable for this, despite not recognizing any of the boys or girls. she felt as if she had disappointed them. suddenly, her heart stopped when she could no longer feel the warmth of the sun. she shook in horror, as sweat dripped down from her forehead. the girl's heart plummeted to the ground when she slowly turned her gaze from the ground to the gargantuan person who was standing frighteningly in front of her.

"i found her," the person said, the girl was about to let out a ear splitting scream only to feel a strong blow landing on her face, which sent her spiraling into an unconscious state almost immediately.

ਏਓ 。 ゚

the girl trembled as she held the tears of her anguish in her eyes. 'stop crying, stop crying!' the girl thought to herself as she continued shuddering in the cold backyard. she watched as some of the boys in this wretched household were drowned by the owner in front of her after crying out of agony.

she reeked of iron and dirt. face drenched in her own blood, body covered with blue—purple spots. her eyes glittered in fear and guilt. she felt felonious upon what is happening to her brothers, upon the disability to protect them.

she shut her eyes and forced herself to cast her head to another angle, just to avoid seeing the children dying in front of her.

ਏਓ 。 ゚

empty. about six days had passed by, and all she could feel was a void of nothing in her soul. she was accustomed to the sight of children, including herself being extremely mistreated. her eyes bored into the chickens that she was assigned to feed. she sprinkled some seeds on to the ground as she saw the chickens devouring it.

she felt her stomach rumbling. she looked down at her dirty hands to notice that— she was even more emaciated than the day earlier. when she emptied the bucket, she walked away from the chicken den, closing the door shut as she made her way back towards the household.

"finished, master," she said as she handed the tall man the steel bucket. "good," the man spat on him with disgrace as he grab a hold of her hair and dragged her inside the house. the girl didn't do anything, but comply. the man threw her onto the floors of the house and shoved a plate with moldy food onto her.

"eat," he commanded before walking away. the girl looked down at her plate, it was filled with food that looked soggy and moldy, but her stomach rumbled loudly— as she hadn't eaten in six days. she quickly devoured what was on her plate, despite having the ability to cause poisoning to her already pitiful state. she hiccuped— that was putrid. but she didn't have a choice. she stared emptily at the empty plate—and suddenly wondered.

'what is my name?'