Chapter 5

Edmond and I sat in the waiting room of the small clinic waiting for some word on how Kallisto was, Queen Lyra would be devastated to lose her eldest daughter.

King Orsand burst into the room, his face pale. "Please tell me Princess Kallisto is not injured and in our clinic."

Edmond and I looked at each other and back to King Orsand.

"Okay, we won't tell you," Edmond said.

"What happened?"

We both shrugged our shoulders. "We don't know. We were out walking and saw her light blinking in the tree line. So we went to go investigate and found her lying in some moss and unconscious."

"I need to send a messenger to Loseldoon. King Eamon and Queen Lyra need to know."

"Who's the fastest wolf?" Edmon asked.

"Probably Reuben," I told him.

"Reuben? Who's Reuben?" Edmond asked again.

"Red-headed kitchen boy who makes the best coffees. Even though he is a chef now."

"Oh, right. Right. He makes a wickedly good turkey club sandwich too. I don't know what that boy does to the bacon but..."

"Focus, Edmond," King Orsand said, snapping his fingers to get his son's attention.

"Right. Sorry. I just get really hungry after shifting and I haven't had anything to eat."

"Ellie, dear, do you know where Reuben is?" the king questioned.

"Um, what time is it?"

He looked down at his watch quickly. "2:00."

"I'm assuming the kitchen. They should be preparing afternoon snacks for the daycare and getting ready to make supper."

"Do you mind?"

"Asking him?" I asked.

King Orsand shook his head and sighed. "Commanding him. This is unfortunately not an asking situation but a commanding situation."

"Oh. Yeah. Of course. I'll be back."

Edmond squeezed my hand as I stood. "I'll wait here in case we get word about Kallisto."

I nodded and hurried to the kitchen. 

Reuben stood between threw stoves stirring, flipping and mixing various things in various pots and pans. Everything smelled amazing and my stomach started growling.

"Princess Elanor!" a short, frail man announced, stopping his bread kneading. 

The kitchen staff stopped working and quickly dipped into curtseys and bows. 

"Reuben!" I shouted across the room. "We need you."

"Ma'am? Um, can it wait a moment? I'm in the middle of sauteeing and saucing."

"I'm sorry. It cannot. Unless there is another wolf in the castle who is faster than you."

"Faster than me? Absolutely not!" He stood a bit taller and puffed out his chest.

He was always very proud of the fact he was fastest of all wolves in Winter Lake. 

"I didn't think so. Can someone take over for you?"

"For how long?" a short man with a tall chef hat on asked.

"An extended period of time. We need him for pack business."

"Oh, yes. Of course then. Reuben, you go. We'll cover your station."

"Sir." Reuben removed his apron and followed me to the clinic.