Chapter 14

As I sat next to Kallisto's hospital bed, I watched her small body work tirelessly to fight off the venoms with the help of the antivenom. The paper that Amelia had handed to me was clutched tightly in my grasp. My thoughts were racing with different ways to approach the topic with Harmony, without letting on that I had overheard her and Alex's conversation.

What if she doesn't want help? 

"Are you okay, dear?" Amelia asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine."

"Everything will work out."

I sighed and nodded. The Queen was always so sure of everything.

Doctor Pine came into the room a short time later with a clipboard followed by a nurse. She read through the papers while the nurse hung up another bag of fluid.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Oh, we're trying to balance out the princess's sugar levels. Fairies have a higher level of sugar than we do since their diet consists heavily of flower nectar."

"Will that wake her up?" Amelia asked.

"It might. I'd prefer if she stayed sleeping. She really needs to just heal."

"But she'll be okay?" I questioned.

Doctor Pine nodded her head. "She's going to be just fine. You and the prince found her just in time."

"Good. Um, I'm gonna go. I need to speak with my sister." I glanced at Amelia who nodded her head subtly.

I wandered the halls looking for Harmony. My heart pounded in my chest. If she agreed to such a crazy idea, what if it failed and she died? 

"Ellie?" a velvety, soul-piercing voice called from behind me.

I spun around to see Edmond standing at the end of the hall. He smiled wryly while approaching.

"Edmond! Thank Goddess."

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah. I think. I don't know."

"Talk to me, babe."

I took a deep breath before handing over the paper, which was damp from me clutching it in my clammy hands.

"What is this?"

"Mother has a book that includes a potion of sorts to successfully break the mate bond."

"What?" He furrowed his brow and his chin quivered a bit. "You want to break our bond?"

He looked like a sad pup who was just smacked with a newspaper for being naughty.

"What?" I looked at him in disbelief. "Not for us, weirdo. For Harmony and Alex."

A look of relief crossed his face. "Oh, thank Goddess!"

"I'm more than happy being your mate. I love you."

His chin stopped quivering and he smiled broadly. "Good. I love you too."

"I overheard a conversation between Alex and Harmony. He is very cruel to her. He doesn't behave as a mate should. He said he wished they'd never mated."

"He what?" Edmond's eyes grew as large as saucers.

I nodded my head. "I'm honestly kind of nervous he'll break the bond and kill them both. I know Harmony is difficult, but she's my sister. I do love her and I think if that mongrel wasn't her mate she would probably be a lot better off."

"I agree."

"And if Anwar does disinherit him and Tristan becomes the future Alpha, I could see Alex going absolutely insane and doing something very naughty."