Chapter 10

"Why were we called here?" Alpha Charles from Deer Creek asked.

"There are things going on in the mystical kingdoms that do not bode well for us," Orsand said.

"What kind of things?" Alpha Brutus from Misty Pines questioned.

King Orsand took a deep breath. He looked unsure of how much he should divulge. "What I am about to say must stay within this room. I do not want a panic in the kingdom. Prince Edmond and Princess Elanor found an injured fairy on the outskirts of Winter Lake."

"A fairy?" Alpha Anwar asked. "Was it in our territory?"

King Orsand nodded. "She was attacked by forces currently unknown. We have theories about what caused the injuries, but she survives. We've sent one of our fastest wolves to Looseldoon to bring her parents here."

He was very careful with the way he worded things.

"What kind of injuries are you talking about?" Alastair asked, sitting next to Alpha Wesley.

"She was shot with a small projectile that was filled with various snake venoms. Our doctor here was able to create an anti-venom strong enough to stop the poison from killing the fairy."

"What do we do? Why is this happening?" Beta Marsha asked. "Why didn't you tell me," she whispered.

"That's not the only issue that we have."

"What?" my father asked. "What else is going on?"

"We received a letter from the vampire kingdom. They're sending their ambassador to us. They've been attacked and need help fighting off those invading their kingdoms."

"Who's attacking them?" Alpha Brutus asked.

Edmond shook his head. "We don't know. They didn't reveal that information in the letter. They stated it was too sensitive to discuss in writing."

"What is going on around here?" Alex asked.

"Shush," Anwar growled at Alex.

King Orsand glared at the Alpha-to-be. "That is why we called the council meeting, pup. To figure out what is going on because, even though we are the royal family, we don't know everything. Princess Elanor is our ambassador and as you can see, she's sitting right here."

"Okay, Princess," Alex said, dripping in sarcasm, "tell us what's going on."

"Future Alpha, as the king said, we don't know. My last peacekeeping mission was successful and there was no talk of an invading force or random attacks amongst the other kingdoms. A small uprising amongst the merfolk was squashed before I even arrived. This is something that snuck up very quickly and quietly on the other mystical beings."

He shook his head and went to say something else, but Alpha Anwar put his hand on his shoulder and squeezed hard.

"Ow," Alex said.

"Stop talking. Now."

"But..."

"No," Anwar said sternly.

Alex slammed his hands on the table before standing up and storming out of the conference room.

"Your Majesties, I am so sorry for my son."

"Alpha Anwar, I like you. You are a great leader and an excellent Alpha. Your son, though, I don't have much faith in him."

"I..." Anwar sighed heavily and nodded his head. 

"Anyway," Alpha Brutus continued, "do we have a plan?"

"We're formulating one," King Orsand said.

"If I may?" I asked, standing.