Kabanata 20

Impossible to Happen

Binaba ni Gael ang binabasang dokumento at binalingan ang asawang walang kasawa-sawa sa pagtulog. Since she got a fever a month ago, she never woke up. Ang sabi ng doktor ay magigising lang ito kung gugustuhin na niya, by then, they can do nothing but to wait.

"Come in," sabi niya sa taong kumatok sa pinto.

It was her doctor who regularly checked her up.

"Good morning, Attorney Veda. How was she?" bungad nito sa kanya habang lumalapit sa kama ng natutulog na asawa.

"Still in deep slumber. No signs of waking up," he answered in disappointment.

"She's not in a coma, attorney. She will wake up when she wants to. She will be alright." She paused for a moment. "I have some news. Her blood results have been returned. No infections found and all seemed to be normal, except one."

Nakuha no'n ang atensyon niya kaya ang mga mata niya na nakatitig lang sa natutulog na asawa ay napunta sa doktora na may bahid ng pagkalito ang mukha.

"What is it, doc?" tanong niya.

"You said she had surgery to remove her ovaries," the doctor stated.

"Yes, how about that?" Kumunot ang noo niya. Nagkaroon ba iyon ng epekto sa kalusugan ng asawa niya?

"I don't think that the surgery was successful," she answered and read something on the paper she is holding.

"What do you mean?" Mas lalo siyang nalito.

"Or maybe, the surgeon didn't remove all of her ovaries because she's pregnant, Attorney Veda. I don't know how to address this to you, but congratulations. I'll just come back later to check her IV," sabi nito at saka mabilis na lumabas.

He was left there alone, clueless and confused by the news.

Pregnant? She can't be!

"What happened?" he asked himself.

Bakit nabuntis ang asawa niya? Nagkamali pa ba ang mga doktor? Sino ang nagkamali?

"I'll sue those surgeons!" he uttered and clenched his fists.

Having a baby is her wife's reason why she wanted to kill herself back then because she has problems. What the heck?!

Pumikit siya nang mariin at ikinalma ang sarili. Bumaling ulit siya sa asawa na ganoon pa rin at walang pagbabago. Magiging masaya ba ito kung malalaman niyang buntis siya? She seemed upset when he told her that she can't have a baby anymore. Did his Adi really want to have a child despite all her sufferings trying to have one?

"Adi, I'm sorry for making a big decision back then. Dapat hinintay muna kita bago ako nagdesisyon. It's your body, it's your decision and choice what to do with it." He sighed and sat on the chair beside her bed. "Do you want to have a baby? Do you think we are ready? Do you want a girl or a boy?" He chuckled. "Of course, you want a girl. I can deal with a boy or a girl as long as you want to have them, it's okay with me. When you will wake up, my sweet? I miss you already." He kissed the back of her hand.

Hinilot niya iyon para kahit papaano ay dumaloy ang dugo nang maayos, that became his daily routine. When he is in the Law Office, her mother will take care of her. Mas pinagkakatiwalaan niya ang sariling ina na alagaan ang asawa kaysa sa mga magulang nito.

Sandali siyang napahinto at pumasok sa isipan niya ang ideyang hindi niya maiisip na gagawin ng magulang. Tumayo siya at tinungo ang cellphone, mabilis ngunit mabigat ang mga hakbang niya. He needs to talk to his mother.