ten | the aftermath

✺

"CARLY!"

Max's cry was a broken sob as her hands trembled, clutching onto her sister's sailor uniform as she drowned in the grief of losing both siblings at once. Just as Max had gotten her sister back in her life, she had been permanently stolen from her.

"Move," Ronnie demanded. "Move!"

The teenage girl pushed Max away as her hands were on Carly's chest, pressing down to force her heart to beat again. Max's eyes were large, clutching onto El, who was there in support.

"What are you doing?" Robin questioned, frantically.

"I'm not about to lose my only friend," said Ronnie. "Steve, use something to stop the bleeding! Someone call help! Now!"

Then, with those orders, Ronnie was blowing air into Carly's lungs. Not needing to be told twice, Steve had removed his top, holding it against Carly's side to stop the bleeding. But Robin had to help him as the shard or glass was still stuck and he couldn't bring himself to hurt her.

Around them, there was a scramble of desperation, trying to find a way to call for help, but the sirens were already wailing outside.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

Ronnie continued the cycle, trying to save Carly. No one breathed; though, Max was still sobbing, keeping her eyes firmly on Carly, wishing for her to open her eyes again. Steve's body trembled, but he kept his hands still, knowing Carly needed him.

And if he knocked the glass that was lodged deep inside her, he feared he'd do more damage.

"Come on!" Ronnie shouted. "You're not dying, Carly!"

But, in another place that was surrounded by a blinding white light, Carly stood alone as she walked around the open space. To start with, Carly was lost and confused, having always been in the darkness of minds or exploring memories — a white mind was something new.

"Hello?" Carly called out.

The longer she stayed, the more she believed she had to be dead. Her mind was foggy with what had happened, but she remembered the pain, as well as the taste of blood.

Touching her side, Carly looked down to see no injuries that she felt lingered.

"Max?" Carly continued shouting. "Steve?"

"Carly," Billy's voice replied in response.

Out of instinct, Carly tensed from fear for her brother. Though, this time was different: Billy's voice was calmer, the tone no longer leaving goosebumps on Carly's skin.

Taking a deep breath, Carly turned to see that Billy was standing in the white emptiness. There was an easiness to his presence now as he wore white, blending with the surroundings. His face was smoother, no longer expressionless or tense.