thirteen | vecna's curse

✺

IT WAS DARK AS THEY FOUND themselves at Reefer Rick's house. Carly had her hands in her pockets, not wanting to touch anything to end up in a mind she shouldn't be in, but it was Dustin who rang the doorbell repeatedly.

"Okay, well, that's settled," said Steve. "I guess he's not here."

"Or he's in the boathouse with them," Carly said. "We should go see."

Walking away from the group, Carly headed through the dark to the back of the house. Both Max and Steve called out after her, quick to follow with the flashlights.

"Carly, wait—"

But she had found the boathouse, knowing it was the one that her mind had ended up linked to when she had been searching for Ronnie. She turned to see that the group had joined her with their lights pointed at the boathouse.

"This is it," said Carly. "They're in there."

They checked the windows first, shining the light deep inside, but no one could see anything. Carly was the first to open the door, peering inside with Robin's flashlight bright.

"Hello?" Carly called out. "Ronnie, it's Carly. I know you're here."

"Is anyone home?" Robin questioned, following behind Carly as they all entered the wooden shed, finding nothing but darkness now.

Carly was worried that maybe they had missed the two.

"What a dump," Steve commented as they continued to search.

As they carried on walking around, Steve picked up an oar and he started poking the boats as if he might come across the two that way. Beneath his feet, the wood creaked.

"What are you doing?" Dustin demanded.

"They might be in here," Steve answered.

"You could hurt them," Carly said.

"Take the tarp off," Dustin suggested.

"If you're so brave, you take the tarp off," Steve argued.

Carly sighed as they continued to look, searching for signs that they had been there.

"Hey, look over here," Max called her attention, where Carly was quick to hurry over to see. "Someone was here."

There were leftover wrappers from food as well as a couple of bottles of beer.

"Maybe they heard us," said Robin. "Got spooked and ran."

"Ronnie wouldn't run," Carly argued. "Not when she knows."

"But Eddie doesn't," Max reminded her.

"Don't worry," said Dustin. "Steve will get him with his oar."