𝟎𝟎𝟎. 𝐆𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐬 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐭

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟎: 𝐆𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐬 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐭

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was stunning—driving through New York City in the winter season. It was December 24th, 2006—Christmas Eve. She sat in the back seat of the car, watching the snowfall. It no longer looked like it was making any difference seeing as the snow already went halfway to her knees. Thankfully, the snow plow had done its wonder and cleared the way, so no snow encoded accidents occurred. Now she could watch all the blanketed houses without care. She and her parents had been watching a rendition of The Nutcracker ballet at the theater. Now, after what felt like an eternity, she was going home.

She wanted to call her best friend to come over. It was already relatively late at night, but most times, almost always, they would sneak in and out of their houses and through each other's windows. It was easier that way—no questions from the parental figures. But, of course, they were only eleven years old, so the thought of getting caught frightened them. But, on the other hand, roaming around Queens at eleven when it was almost midnight was less frightening than the concern and scolding the adults would give them if they ever saw their eleven-year-olds climbing up trees to reach each other's windows.

"Davina," she snapped back into reality, hearing her name called. Davina turned away from the window and looked at her mother. Natalie Danvers, Davina's mother, had her neck craned around the passenger seat to face her daughter. "Hmm?" Davina hummed, her gaze slowly shifting back to the window. The snow was sticking to the class and frosting it, so Davina's gaze on the outside world was slowly fading away. "I spoke to May earlier," Natalie's sigh brought Davina instant disappointment. "The Parkers' are not going to join us tomorrow for Christmas." Davina's father, Harrison, stated.

"Oh." was the only word that escaped Davina's lips. She slumped back in the backseat. Her arms crossed as she glanced back out the window. The snow slowly stopped trickling down from the sky like a flip switched up in the sky, and there was no longer a need for it. Suddenly, Davina felt the blissful atmosphere of winter, and Christmas was gone. A tad bit dramatic, yes, but she was eleven and hopeful. Davina was never really fondest of change. She didn't like things too far out of her control, even if it was inevitable.

The Danvers and the Parkers had celebrated the winter holidays together for what felt like forever. Even before Davina and her best friend, Peter Parker, were born. Natalie had befriended Mary, Peter's mother, years ago—when they were seventeen. And since then, they have done everything together. Once Natalie married Harrison and Mary married Richard, it was that foursome. Unfortunately, Mary and Richard died back in 1999, when their son, Peter, was four. Natalie was just as devastated as May and Ben Parker, Peter's aunt and uncle. That did not stop any traditions, though. Natalie still hosted any event, and May and Ben, although older than Natalie, Harrison, Mary, and Richard, still joined for Peter's sake.