𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐄𝐮𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐬𝐨𝐧, 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟎𝟏: 𝐄𝐮𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐬𝐨𝐧, 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The clock's ticking noise felt louder than humanly possible. Watching the minute hand on the clock move one number at a time. Tick, tick, tick. It was obnoxious. She wanted to take her converse shoe off and throw it at the clock to make it stop its insipid ticking. It was the last period of the school day, thank goodness. Davina sat in her seat in Physics—she was bored out of her right mind. Today was an exam day, but Davina finished seventeen minutes ago. Cell phones were prohibited from being in use while other exams were still out, and much to her dismay, one individual was still test taking, so no one was allowed to get out their phones, school issued laptops, or even a book.

Davina sighed as she fixed her position in her chair. Her hand curled under her chin as she leaned forward a little bit. A few strands of her loose, straightened hair fell to the side of her face, but she didn't tuck it behind her ear again. Instead, her gaze remained on the whiteboard, which Ms. Martin, the Physics teacher, had written "no cell phones, laptops, books, food or drinks of any kind." Davina's gaze wandered around the length of the whiteboard. She saw the pink, red, and green expo markers in the magnetized basket on the board. She was so bored that drawing on the whiteboard with those colors excited her.

Davina's focus snapped elsewhere when she felt something lightly tap her shoulder. Davina turned her head to see her closest friend, besides Peter, Marlene Watson. Or as the strawberry blonde girl also went by, Mary Jane. Marlene's full name was Marlene Jane Watson, but when Marlene was younger, she couldn't pronounce her name, so she called herself Mary, which just stuck. Although once she entered high school, rumors spread, and Mary Jane's name, "Mary," was now referring to the virgin Mary. So Mary Jane went back and forth between being called Mary Jane and Marlene. But, of course, it all depended on who she was with.

Mary Jane had tapped Davina's shoulder with her pen. A tightly folded piece of paper was clipped onto the end of the pen. Davina slipped the piece of paper out from the pen's clip. Mary Jane's genial smile lightened Davina's mood—her apathy slowly faded. Mary Jane leaned back in her chair and set her pen down. Davina turned around to face the front of the class. She unfolded the piece of paper. Inside it read, "why's Peter harassing me about getting tickets for the play?" Davina looked over her shoulder and saw Peter resting his head on his arms, which he folded under his head as a pillow.

Before an answer could be written out, the bell rang—finally. Davina stood up and grabbed her book bag, which had been leaning on the side of her desk, from the ground. Mary Jane sprung up from her desk and stood beside Davina in seconds. "My best guess?" Davina said, referring to what Mary Jane had asked her. "He forgot about the play and knows I'll kill him if he doesn't go." Davina responded, knowing Peter was walking over to the pair and heard what she'd said. Mary Jane turned to face Peter and shot him a glare for forgetting and not wanting to go to her play.