𝟎𝟎𝟑. 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟑: 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The brisk, cool air blew Davina's hair in her face. Davina brushed the strands of hair away. Davina held up her phone to her ear. Peter walked beside her, twiddling his thumbs as they approached his house. "Yes, mom, I know. I know. I'll do it when I get home." Davina said—she was on the phone with Natalie, her mother. Peter pulled his house keys out of his jacket pocket once they approached the driveway. Davina hummed in response to whatever her mother had been telling her. After approximately two minutes, Natalie hung up the phone. Davina dropped her hand from her ear. They walked up the three porch steps. Davina swiped away her notifications while Peter opened the door.

Peter turned to face her. It was evident by the curiosity radiating from his facial expression that he wanted to know what that seven-minute call was about—especially seeing as Natalie's calls to her daughter only lasted two or three minutes. "She wants me to work on my English research paper," Davina responded. That was true, but it wasn't the entire reason the call was longer than usual. "Didn't you finish that the day it was assigned?" Peter asked, raising an eyebrow—Davina was nothing if not academically punctual.

Davina nodded subtly, "Yes, but she doesn't know that." she sighed. Peter stepped inside his house. "Why?" Peter asked, slightly confused. He set his keys down on the table beside the door. Davina shut the door behind her. "Because the next time she asks me if I've started it, I can tell her I finished," Davina responded. She walked over to the living room and sat down on the couch. Peter was quick to follow, although still somewhat confused. Peter opened his mouth to ask, "why?" but Davina answered the question before Peter asked it. "So she'll be proud," Davina paused. She pursed her lips. "...Ish? Proud-ish." Davina then added.

Davina's mother rarely ever spent time at home. Once she threw herself into work, that's where she would no doubt be. It was why Davina was slightly hesitant to accept Gwen's offer to be her partner at the internship at OsCorp. The more Davina meddled in Natalie's work; the colder and harsher Natalie would get. Natalie already had more extended hours than usual, but Davina, at least when she was younger, hoped they would shorten. They didn't. Davina had gotten used to the empty house after a while. As Harrison, Davina's father, was no longer there to hassle Natalie about coming to work earlier, Natalie never did.

Although when he was still alive and around, he wasn't ever around. Davina always assumed that Harrison hassled Natalie to stay home so he could take off to work without leaving Davina behind. So it was back and forth, back and forth. Natalie was a lot better at time management. The essential word being: was. Now? Well, now there was no need. Davina was striving to reach her mother's idea of perfection. Perfect grades, ideal friends, good clothing choices, and how that clothing fit her. All that fit into Natalie's book, Davina was trying to achieve. Davina had been trying for six straight years to make her mother proud. It worked on occasion, but one setback would erase it all. It was always one step forward and three steps back with the Danvers'.