𝟎𝟎𝟒. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟎𝟒. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐧

 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐧

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was bright and early the next day. Davina had been woken up by the sound of her phone's alarm blaring. It was 6:30 in the morning, which was later than Davina intended to wake up, but Marelen had undoubtedly moved the alarm up by half an hour. Davina quickly got ready for the day ahead of her and lent Mary Jane clothes to wear to school — Mary Jane had forgotten her change of clothes due to the excitement of going over.

To much surprise, Davina was ready before Peter knocked on her door like he always did. Mary Jane was relieved by that. She hated being late to things. Well, partially. Mary Jane loved being fashionably late to specific events, but high school was not one of them. Never had been, never would be. She did not like the thought of others spreading rumors about her yet again, so punctuality had become her best friend to avoid such.

Davina walked down the stairs. Her fingers drew imaginary checkmarks in the air with each step she took. "Physics, done. Latin, done. My paper is in," Davina murmured her checklist to herself, blissfully unaware that her mother was waiting at the end of the staircase. Natalie cleared her throat, startling Davina.

"Mom, you're still here?" Davina pointed out, her voice laced with confusion. "You don't say," Natalie responded. It had not come out like a joke despite her meaning for that to sound like one — she had overheard Davina and Peter repeat the phrase to each other before. "I just wanted to let you know that I may not be home tonight," Natalie stated.

Davina furrowed her eyebrows, acting as if it were not out of the ordinary. This kind of thing happens often. Why preface it now? "Overnighter at the lab? What for?" Davina inquired curiously, eyes scanning her mother's facial expression for any clue. "That is classified information," Natalie reminded her, deadpanned.

"It always is," Davina muttered as she walked past Natalie. Her mother stood silently, watching Davina brush past her. Natalie glanced at the window by the door — still no sign of Peter Parker. Natalie's hands loosened out of the fist she had inadvertently formed, and then headed out of the house.

Davina heard the door as she walked toward the kitchen, where Mary Jane had been eating scones on the kitchen island. A brief sigh escaped her lips, but she brushed it aside. "I was wondering where you disappeared to," Davina said. Her eyes landed on the table's raspberry scones, but she refused to let the temptation win. Instead, she walked toward the pantry and grabbed two rice cakes.

"Want one? They are so good," Mary Jane offered. Davina's lips formed a straight line. Had Mary Jane not realized she had been offering Davina what was originally hers in the first place? A subtle laugh came from Davina's lips as she brushed a few crumbs off Mary Jane's face. "I am okay, thank you."