𝟎𝟎𝟐: 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐎𝐰𝐧 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐬

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟐: 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐎𝐰𝐧 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐬

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Davina stood in front of the mirror. She was debating on the outfit she was currently wearing: a maroon lace hemmed long-sleeve shirt and bootcut jeans. It was rather plain, but it was in Davina's comfort zone. She ran her hands through her hair and brought it forward. Sighing, Davina checked the time on her phone. It was past seven-thirty which meant her mother had already been long gone. Davina hadn't been expecting a ride to school, but she at least wanted a proper goodbye. Natalie was never really around, though. After the events with her husband, Natalie threw herself at work the way he used to, but not for the same reasons.

There was a knock heard from downstairs. Davina glanced back at her phone screen. It was 7:35. Davina walked down the stairs and to the front door. She opened it and saw Peter standing in her doorway. He looked up from his phone and met her gaze. "You're annoyingly punctual," Davina told him, shaking her head subtly. Peter looked over his shoulder. "My house is across the street. How do you expect me to be late?" he asked, gesturing for the townhouse where he lived. "You know me. I'm always late. You should know that 7:35 means 7:40 at the earliest." Davina reminded him.

Davina turned around and walked back up the staircase. Peter stepped inside the house and shut the door behind him with a kick. He then followed Davina up the stairs. Davina sat on her bed, putting her converse shoes on. Peter stood at the doorway of her room, fidgeting with his jacket sleeves as he glanced around the room. Davina looked up while she tied her shoes, "do you need to be invited in?" she asked jokingly. "Do I?" Peter responded with the same rhetorical tone. He stepped inside her bedroom. "No, no, I do not. It looks like I'm human," Peter said and shrugged.

"Bummer," Davina said and stood up from her bed. She walked back to the bathroom and added more blush to her face. "You prefer me dead?" Peter gasped with dramatic intent. Davina leaned against the doorway as he placed his hand over his heart. She resumed the finishing touches of her makeup while watching his dramatics. "What does that say about our friendship?" Peter closed his eyes and shook his head. "No, not dead. As a vampire, you'd be undead and have supernatural abilities. Tell me that isn't cool," Davina responded.

Peter opened his eyes. "That would be cool, but unfortunately," Peter said, glancing over at Davina's nightstand, which had all seven Harry Potter books stacked on it. "We live in the real world where magic and supernatural beings don't exist," Peter told her. Davina rolled her eyes, knowing he was right but hating it. "Maybe those don't, but the impossible does," Davina told him as she swung her book bag over her shoulder. Peter shook his head. "Those things are impossible and fictional," Peter said, his tone fading away from the amusement he had moments earlier.

Davina looked away from him and at the photo of her and Harrison, her father. Then, it all came back to her. The memory of what happened the night her father died. It was too real for her. Finally, Davina snapped out of the thoughts of that night and shook her head. "You're wrong. There's more out there. I know it." Davina stated. If there was one thing about Davina Lorelei Danvers that always stuck, it was her persistence and stubbornness. It had been six years, but the feeling of panic never faded. When she thought of that night, there was tightness in her chest. It made it feel like it was happening all over again.