Part 5. You're like a watchdog just waiting for the moment to tear me to shreds.

- Sir, sir! - the guard's loud voice was heard, - sir, [d/n]! - he was trying to attract the attention of a man who was going somewhere, - please!
Surprised that the guard was calling him, [d/n] stopped with an interested look, watching the man running up to him.
- What's wrong? What's the rush? - [d/n] asked, looking at the panting man.
- Ahem... miss [y/n], - hearing her name, [d/n] immediately narrowed slightly, - she left town a few hours ago and still hasn't returned, - the man seemed worried.
- So...? What does it have to do with me? - [d/n's] voice was calm.
- Eh? - the guard's eyes widened in surprise, - you often communicate with her... Maybe you know where she went? What if something happened to her? In connection with recent eve-...
- I'm sure she's fine, - [d/n] cut off, - [y/n] is pretty capable of looking after herself. I don't know where she went, we are just co-workers.
- But... - it seems that the man's answer didn't calm the poor guard.
- Have a nice evening, - [d/n] said and went on his way.

The guard remained where he was, watching the man's figure slowly recede. To some extent, he himself knew that the girl was strong, but what if she was attacked by wild animals or a group of people? He was worried, but there didn't seem to be anything else he could do. When the man left his field of vision, the guard just sighed heavily and went back to his post.
.
.
.
3 hours passed, but the girl didn't return to the city, the time was approaching 9 p.m. and the guard was getting more and more worried. All sorts of thoughts have been going through his head all this time, there were even thoughts that she had been captured and the kidnappers could do something obscene with her. He could no longer bear these thoughts and went in search of [d/n] again.

[D/n] was sitting in a Tavern and finishing his N-th glass of wine, listening to the tedious story of his colleague whom he met here, unfortunately. Meanwhile his wife was making goo-goo eyes at [d/n], but he didn't seem to care about her. Suddenly the guard came to their table.
- ...Again? - [d/n] looked questioningly at the guard.
- Sorry, sir... She still hasn't returned... - the man looked like a sad little puppy right now, - you're the only one who can find her...
[D/n] sighed, lowering his hand with a glass of wine, - why do you even think there's a need to look for her? - it looks like alcohol has already affected him.
- I... I don't know... - he said uncertainly.
- Isn't your shift over? Just go get some rest already, - [d/n] replied and turned his gaze away from the guard, raising the glass to his lips and taking a sip of wine, as if he had already finished the conversation.
- ...B-before, she used to warn if she was going to leave town for a long time, but this time sh-...
- Ugrhh, - an irritated sound was heard and immediately after it [d/n] got to his feet, finishing his wine and putting the glass on the table, - stop whimpering in my ears already, - red-eyed looked at the man and he flinched from his gaze, - they'll start bleeding if you don't shut up, - [d/n] was annoyed, which surprised the guard, because he had never seen or heard him like this, he always spoke nicely to him before.
- S-sorry... - but he deeply respected the famous detective, like everyone else in Fontaine, so he wasn't even offended by his words, only obediently fell silent.
- Come, - [d/n] said, leaving the table and heading for the exit.
.
.
.
Approaching the gates, [d/n] sighed looking into the distance. Does he really have to do this? He stopped and looked at the guard.
- Stay here and wait, maybe she'll be back before i find her, - the man said. From the guard's point of view, [d/n's] four last words sounded like a threat.
- Are you sure..? You seem a little bit... drunk... I could-... - he was a little doubtful about [d/n's] safety, since he was drinking wine.
- Just shut up and wait here, - the man said shortly, leaving the guard standing there alone.
- ...But i didn't even say which way she went... - the poor guard whispered, watching the man who was already far away.

[D/n] had been walking for several minutes already, trying to catch at least some familiar smell, just like a sniffer dog, or her aura, but there was nothing. It seemed to him that something was wrong here, usually powerful beings leave the most noticeable traces, no matter how they tried to hide, but recently the girl's aura seemed to have disappeared at all. He may not remember that night when he attacked her, but even in that state he only noticed her because of a broken branch under her foot, he didn't feel her presence.