seven

Creutzfeldt-Jakob.

-

I hold your hand as the rest of your memory fades into the distant void of your mind. "Caleb, what were we like?" You ask sheepishly.

I can feel my heart tearing into pieces. Each piece a withering petal. A dying rose. The red fading into black. Though to keep my composure, I smile and chuckle. The thoughts jogging up into view. I see them all in a moment, recalling every laugh, every fight, every adventure and all the time spent together. "We-" I choke on the words gripping the back of my throat. Clawing, not wanting to be let out. "We were... different." The tears well up in my eyes but I can't help but chuckle.

You are taken aback by my answer. "Different?" Your eyes glow like they always do. The color gleams off the sun shining lightly through the window. The blinds were closed so only one light streak of yellow dashed across your face. Your eyes have changed though. The stare of a kid. A different person. Someone else's gaze. This time you have an innocent look of curiosity. A look you've never given me.

I nod. "I was always so odd, and you fed into it." A devious smile spreads across my face. "All the stupid things we did, like when I tried to fit my whole body inside my hoodie and got stuck." I cackled. "And between laughs all you did was encourage me." I shake my head. "It's funny really, All I ever wanted was to be seen. You saw me. All you wanted was someone to listen, and I heard." I couldn't stop a tear from falling out of my eye now. Sliding down my face. I suck it up and take a deep breath, trying to calm myself.

"Weird." You said.

"I know. That's what we were.. weird." I shrug.

"Weird?"

"So weird."