fifty-eight

Bone Dry

-

You were dead asleep when a hand grabbed your arm lightly. It was light, but frantic. Almost pulling you. You were about to say 'mm what the hell?' when a hand was placed over your mouth harshly. Stunned your eyes shot open and you sat up. To keep you from being too loud she grabbed your back to stop the sound of your bed. Your mother's hand remained over your mouth grasping a little harder. She had been crying. Eyes as puffy and red as when you both watched The Notebook for the first time. This expression you've never seen on her before. Stern, worried, terrified and dazed. All at the same time. Her movement was shaky, but she put her index finger over her mouth. "Shh" as light as she could say. 

The TV in front of the bed was already turned on. Words flashed on screen, "For safety and well-being of local civilians and personnel, please stay silent for the remainder of this warning." Silent, was in bold writing. 

Confused, you looked back at your mom before a huge crash outside startled the both of you. Your mom launched up and grabbed your head to her chest covering your mouth before you could gasp. 

You also heard a creak down the hall. 

Mom's face only looked more horrified. 

Tears welled up in your eyes. Your skin crawled as the banging around in the kitchen echoed through the house. This was silent, too silent. No birds or cars could be heard outside your room. The world was still. You tried to be as well. Alongside a cabinet being banged against a soft snarling sound could be heard too. 

You held back sobs as your mom let go, now holding your mouth instead. She motioned you to get up and she crawled quietly to the corner of the room. Away from your window with her. You two huddled together in the corner and the snarling got louder. It was coming closer. 

You shut your eyes as hard as you could, you didn't expect to wake up from a nap to be engulfed with adrenaline. You two both sat, back against the wall. Shaking. The sound of paw pads stepping closer to your room. Your door only slightly cracked open. You heard whatever it is breathing heavily. Sniffing. A sharp inhale as it taps its nose against the door. Poking it open. 

It creaked lightly sending shock waves of terror through your body. You start to feel hot as you shake violently. Holding your arms to keep from moving and making any noise. It's paw steps in and a smell entered the room along with it. You grab your mouth hard to keep from gagging. Its paw was red and raw. It looks inflamed and swollen. Its claws were like unkempt talons tapping against hard wood.

Another step. It is inside the room. 

Its flesh seemed to bubble and expose decaying muscles. Bites taken from this hell hound scattered across its body. It's mouth dripping with what appears to be blood. Teeth are also missing, like it lost a couple. It's eyes, a glossy white and grey. Blood in the corner of its eyes and down its cheek. Like it was previously bleeding. Eyes dart around the room, taking deep breath. It's eyes shift over to us as its head peers in. It seems to know we are there, without seeing us. 

A car driving by takes its attention off us. Shifting its head and then be-lining down the hall crashing against the tables and walls as we hard it break the screen door to get outside. You both sigh. Your posterior softens and you feel weak. The twisting and turning of your stomach has left you ill. You lay your head lightly against the wall. Overtaken with somnolence. 

'What the fuck was that thing.'