Chapter 4

The next day

I woke early from my slumber, roused by the smell of cooking from the kitchen.

"Tina, breakfast's on the table!" Mum shouted.

"Coming." I yelled back. I pulled on my dressing gown and headed downstairs. The kitchen was lit dimly, but I could still make out faint shapes. I found my place at the kitchen table and sat down.

"Morning, dear." Mum said.

"Yeah, morning." I said, gloomily.

"What's up with you?" She asked, acknowledging my mood.

"Harry again." I moaned.

"What did he do this time?" She sighed.

"He won't leave me alone." I complained.

"He likes you, it's obvious. You should be revelling in the fact that there's a boy after you." She grinned.

"Na, I'd rather not." I huffed.

"Oh stop being so miserable." She chuckled.

"I'm going out, I won't be back too late." I said, standing up and walking to my room.

I waltzed into the bathroom and brushed my teeth, then I washed and changed into my comfortable clothes. I scrambled around in my bag for my car keys and headed out the door. I drove to Jayde's house, hoping desperately that she'd be awake.

I stopped the car outside of her house and jumped out. As soon as I knocked on the door, Jayde answered.

"Tina?" She said.

"Wow, Jayde. You're actually awake... It's early!" I exclaimed.

"Well, what can I say?" She laughed. "Anyway, what are you doing here?"

"I came by because I'm annoyed with my mum." I sighed.

"What did she do?" She laughed, understandingly.

"Harassing me about Harry." I said.

"Oh yeah! How did the date go then?" She asked.

"Mind if I come in?" I grinned, walking inside.

I explained our date in full detail, making sure not to miss anything out.

"Wow, he got a bit protective." She laughed.

"Just a bit." I chuckled.

"I'm going to take you out shopping today. I'll take your mind off of it." She smiled.

"Okay."

We walked around the town for a long time, window shopping. I found a beautiful dress, and Jayde paid for it.

"Thank you." I smiled, warmly.

"It's okay. I just want to cheer you up." She returned the grin.

I received many glares from the elder members of the community. They all stared at my neck in disgust. I wanted to turn around and yell out that it was involuntary, but I just couldn't.

"Just ignore them." Jayde said, squeezing my shoulder.

"Trying." I laughed.

"Tina!" I heard from behind me. I turned to look, recognising the voice.

"Harry." I muttered.

"Oh my God, Tina. What are you going to do?" Jayde asked.

"The only thing I can do. Pretend everything's normal." I replied.