«prologue»

< PROLOGUE >

AEMOND TARGARYEN HAD lost his eye at the hands of Lucerys Velaryon almost four years ago now

AEMOND TARGARYEN HAD lost his eye at the hands of Lucerys Velaryon almost four years ago now. 'A fair exchange' is what Aemond claimed it was. He had gained a dragon in return. The largest in all of Westeros too. But that didn't mean he didn't miss his eye sometimes. Well, a lot of the time. The way he looked was an insecurity he'd never admit to anyone else if he could help it.

Especially when it came to the ladies.

It had never really been at the top of his list of priorities to woo all the ladies he could, unlike his older brother, Aegon. The only woman Aemond had ever wanted to impress was his own mother. And that was all in the books and the training. It had nothing to do with physical appearance.

But this all changed one day when he was sent to the stables to fetch a horse. That was something he rarely ever did. For starters, he had a dragon. Why would he ever need to ride on horseback? And second, it wasn't usually his job to be the barer of a horse. But today it was. And he was a little annoyed about it until his one eye laid upon the stable girl.

Girl? Stable girl? Someone of her age and gender would not usually be watching the horses. She would be a maid, or a training seamstress. Not taking care of such noble animals. Nevertheless, this girl was stood with her back to the prince until he cleared his throat to liken her of his presence.

Aemond swallowed thickly and took a sharp breath in when she turned to him. Not just a girl. A beautiful girl. Aemond was sure she was the most beautiful in the seven kingdoms, despite her rugged clothes and messy hair. It was her almond eyes and she shape of her lips and the tint of pink that dusted her cheeks.

"May I be of assistance, my prince." The girl asking in a surprisingly up beat tone in contrast to her job.

"I, uh, yes, I need a horse." Aemond said.

"Why would a dragon rider be in need of a mere horse?" The girl asked with a slight snicker.

"Excuse you? I'll have you know it is not for me." Aemond snapped, surprised at her forwardness and the girl giggled a little, causing him to furrow his brows. "I seem to have amused you." He scorned.

"My apologies, my prince." She said, but she was still giggling to herself.

"Now. I would like a horse if you will." He demanded, but his tone wasn't nearly as threatening as he intended it to be.

"Have you never collected a horse from the stables before, my prince." She asked, an amused smile still lingering on her face at Aemond's confusion. "I am going to need more information than you have given. These horses have owners. I cannot simply hand you one at random." She chuckled.