»five

"FRIVOLOUS"

NAZYRA WAS USED to early starts to the day, but gods was the wake up call as a maid abrupt

NAZYRA WAS USED to early starts to the day, but gods was the wake up call as a maid abrupt. Working at the stables, she could prepare at her own pace if she was awake early enough, but here you worked at the pace of others. It would be something that Nazyra would have to adapt to.

As she was sat on the edge of her bed rolling up her sleeves, another serving girl placed herself besides her. Nazyra lifted her head slowly, giving the girl a slightly awkward smile. Well it was more of a 'can I help you' smile. The girl looked several years older than Nazyra, and had copper hair that was pulled back into a braid.

"We are to bring Queen Alicent her clothes for today." She said. "My name is Alyna."

Nazyra pursed her lips. "Oh, o-okay." She said, half hoping Alyna would've said they were to bring Prince Aemond his clothes. Any excuse to be near him. "My name is Nazyra." She said.

"I know." Alyna said and Nazyra cocked a brow. "Your appearance has been quite the topic among the maids as of late. Much too beautiful to be a mere serving girl, you are."

Nazyra's face softened. "O-oh. Thank you, Alyna. But I'm sure you would not say the same if you saw my state as a stable girl." She chuckled.

"I'm sure I would. Your eyes are rather mesmerising." Alyna chuckled.

"Thank you, Alyna. You are quite beautiful yourself. The colour of your hair is magnificent." Nazyra returned the compliment and watched as Alyna smiled. "Now, we must not keep the Queen waiting." She said.

The two of them collected Queen Alicent's clothes and started through the maze of corridors. Her dress was quite marvellous. Expensive silk green, the colour of the deepest forests, embroidered with flecks of gold that complimented her skin and hair to perfection. Nazyra thought about the kind words she had received about her appearance from Alyna, but she felt like nothing to Queen Alicent. That woman was a true beauty, Nazyra thought.

But Nazyra had never really had a proper look at herself up close. She didn't own a mirror, and rarely had the opportunity to look in one. She usually relied on reflections in water or windows. Even then, she did not stand in front of windows checking her appearance, smiling and posing. But seeing the beautiful ladies and Princesses in the castle had made her want to know her own face more.

"We are to be rather busy tomorrow evening, are we not?" Alyna said to Nazyra as they neared the Queen's chambers.

"What is happening tomorrow evening?" Nazyra asked.

"The feast." Alyna said as if it was common knowledge.

Nazyra cocked a brow. "The feast?"

"Yes, King Viserys has called for a feast with all his family. The Queen, his sons and daughters, his brother Daemon, his grandchildren and their betrothed." Alyna explained.

"And how does that make us busy?" Nazyra asked.

"We are to serve and refill the wine." Alyna replied.

"Why is it that everyone else seems to know what duty I am to be put on apart from me?" Nazyra chuckled.

"You are still rather new, expect help from us for the time being." Alyna laughed quietly as they approached the door.

"I suppose." Nazyra whispered.

When the two girls entered the bed chamber, Queen Alicent was already awake, which, at least, saved them from some awkwardness.

"Your clothes, my queen." Alyna addressed her. The gracious woman didn't say a word, only lent them an appreciative nod before standing to be dressed. The two girls helped her into her small clothes and dress and Alyna combed her hair while Nazyra laced up the back of her gown. It was quite intricate. She felt as through it was too delicate and expensive for her hands to be touching. It felt... wrong.

But that was just it. That's how it should be. She was supposed to feel out of place around all the wealth and expenses that surrounded her in the castle. She was supposed to feel inferior in the presence of those higher up than her. She was supposed to respect them.

And she did respect most of them. Alicent didn't treat her maids badly by any stretch of imagination, but she did treat them like maids. Because that's what they were. Nothing more than a mere 'thank you' for their service along with a gracious nod was just enough.

That's what it was supposed to be like, Nazyra thought. That's how royals treat their servers. So why didn't Aemond treat her that way? Why did the King's second born son treat her as his best friend? His secret companion? It wasn't supposed to be like that. Because one day, and alliance will need to be formed and Aemond will be betrothed to another.

A beautiful Lady with a high status and a rich family. Not an ex-stable girl turned maid. Nothing good could come from this relationship she had with Aemond. Especially as Nazyra found herself caring deeper and deeper for him every time he glanced in her direction.

Perhaps she was just his way of escaping the pressure of royal duties for a short while. Perhaps she was just a bit of mere entertainment for him. Perhaps he just thought she was pretty and desired to take her maidenhood one day then never speak to her again. Perhaps he was just bored.

All these thoughts crossed through Nazyra's mind all at once throughout the day. It just didn't make sense. Nothing they had between them made sense. It could not continue. For her own sake and for his. Aemond was a dragon rider. His dragon was Vhagar, the largest in all of Westeros. He was the second born son of King Viserys. He was a Prince.

And she was nothing.

Her encounter today with a Queen Alicent had reminded her of that. It had reminded her of her place and status. Where she belonged.

She was nothing.