Brothers - Chapter Seven

PEEKING INSIDE Sirius's office, Lyra could see the wall of leather-bound books shelved on the back wall as well as littering the ground. Parchment was scattered across the desk and a trunk was left open by the door which was filled with loose parchment.

Sirius cleared the seat across from the desk and then sat down on his own. Lyra slowly stepped inside, feeling as if she was entering somewhere she wasn't supposed to. Waving her over Sirius smiled as he pulled out one of the leather-bound books from the shelf behind him. Lyra was nervous and didn't know what to say once she sat down. Sirius flipped through the book before letting out a sigh. Turning it around he handed the book over to Lyra pointing to one of the last entries her father had left in his journal. Lyra swallowed her nervousness away before picking up the book and scanning over the entry.

Her eyes stung as burning tears reached the surface. She felt hollow as she read about how much he didn't want to leave her mother but he knew that he had to leave to go find something. That's what confused Lyra the most. What was he trying to find and where was he going to find it? She flipped through the book a bit further but couldn't find anything. Looking over to her uncle, he was already looking over with a sad smile. "The only thing that I found was that he was trying to find something to be destroyed and that it was placed somewhere significant to Voldemort."

"He was going after Voldemort?" Lyra asked as her eyes widened. "Why would he do that?" Sirius sighed, knowing that this conversation was going to be difficult.

"There are going to be some hard conversations when it comes to this side of your family Lyra. We don't really have the best reputation when it comes to acceptance of muggles and those born from muggles. My family was affiliated with the likes of Voldemort." Sirius explained, he sighed before leaning back in his seat.

"I know that," Lyra said. "What has that got to do with my father?"

"He was a Death Eater, Lyra." He sighed, placing a hand over his face not wanting to see his niece's reaction.

"Oh, well, I guess that makes sense. I guess when he wanted how much you struggled with your parents he didn't want to feel the same way. He was also sorted in Slytherin so that would have some influence as well. Not that I'm saying every Slytherin eventually becomes a member of Voldemort's group." Lyra said, trying to justify her father's actions. "But what made him turn against Voldemort?"

"That is something I would like to know too." He said as he watched Lyra. He could see the cogs turning in her brain as she tried to work it out herself. "Could it have something to do with my mother?"

"Maybe, I know that your mum was part of the Order when it was first established. She was younger than all of us but she was a very skilled witch." He said. "Someone I didn't like going up against when we were playing Quidditch." He mumbled, making Lyra sit up.

"She played Quidditch?" Lyra asked, sitting a little forward in her seat.

"Yeah, she was the Ravenclaw beater. No one could mess with her skills with a bat." He shivered at the memories.

"Mum never let me join the Quidditch team, she said it was too dangerous." Lyra pouted.

"That it definitely is. The number of times I have to visit James in the infirmary after a match..." Sirius smiled shaking his head. Lyra smiled, she liked seeing the carefree side of her uncle. It was always when he was talking about his time in school. Lyra liked seeing this carefree side of Sirius instead of the closed-off, arms-length away Sirius. She wanted to make even more of these happy memories with him so that he didn't only have one moment in his life that was good for him. Lyra smiled to herself as she watched her uncle relive his childhood memories until his face changed and his mood went sour.

"Sirius?" Lyra called out as the silence grew and his face became even more disgusted.

"Sorry Lyra, there are some things that are not so happy when it comes to my friends. We were betrayed by a close friend and that was the reason why James and Lily were killed. It's still hard to think about and I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive them or move past what he had done." Sirius explained.

"I'm guessing you're talking about Peter?" Lyra asked. Sirus just nodded. She knew that this was not something to be discussed lightly. "We don't need to talk about it now. I know it's a difficult subject. Maybe we can talk about it when Harry is here." Lyra suggested. Sirius sighed, he knew that he would have to talk about it eventually but it was just a triggering moment in his life. It was the reason he wasn't able to support his godchild and spent most of his life in Azkaban.

"We should get back on track," Sirus said trying to move on from talking about Peter. Lyra knew that it was a hard topic but she also knew that they needed to talk about it. She didn't want him to suffer on his own. He was her uncle and she wanted to help him as much as he wanted to help her. "I never really understood what Regulus was feeling or what his motives were when it came to our family and what they were involved in, but at some point, he would have had to have realised that it wasn't the right thing to do," Sirius said.

"He would have had to unlearn everything that he had been taught by his parents. Something must have happened for him to just switch sides, don't you think?" Lyra asked.

"Maybe, I don't know what," Sirius answered.

"Maybe my mother had some influence on his decision to leave and go after whatever Voldemort had been protecting," Lyra suggested. A silence fell between them as they pondered what might have changed Regulus's mind about being a Death Eater.

"I'll keep looking through his journals to see if I can find anything of significance," Sirius said, leaning back in his chair.

"We should also look into places that were important to Voldemort. If we find that maybe we can figure out where my father had gone." Lyra said. "Although, I wouldn't have a clue where to start."

"I don't know if we should keep this between us or if we should tell the Order," Sirius said aloud.

"I think we should collect some more information before we let everyone know," Lyra said. "Maybe we could talk to Professor Dumbledore."

"He might have some information on Voldemort." Sirius pondered. "You should go and see him when you go back to school, and take the journal with you." He said handing over the journal. Lyra took the book and sat back down in her chair. She looked over to Sirius not sure what to say next. She wasn't sure if she should leave or if they were going to talk about something else. She could feel a tightness in her chest as an awkward silence filled the room. Clearing her throat she stood up and went to go when Sirius stopped her. "Uh, how are you doing?" He asked scratching the back of his neck.

"I'm hanging in there," Lyra said looking to the floor. "I'm still trying to process everything that's happened."

"Let me know if there's anything I can do." He said, a little more confidently.

"Thanks," Lyra said, as she stood up from her seat. Sirius nodded giving her a smile before she left the room. She let out a breath before heading back downstairs into the kitchen where Mrs. Weasley was waiting for her. 

"Are you alright dear?" She asked, taking Lyra by the shoulder. Lyra nodded as a wave of emotions hit her. It had been an intense few days as she dealt with her mother's passing and now the funeral and her new connection to Sirius. She wanted to take things slowly with him but it was hard as she craved parental acknowledgment. She was overwhelmed but she was happy that she now knew something about her father and his side of the family even with all of the darkness surrounding the Black family. However, she knew that her father was on the right path when he disappeared and that's what is motivating her to finish what he started.